Johnson and Pearson families, Holbeck

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
RebekahSmith

Johnson and Pearson families, Holbeck

Post by RebekahSmith »

My great great grandmother was selina brooks born 1875 in hunslet to Elizabeth brooks and William Pearson (unmarried, as William was separated from wife Ann Shellam). Selina married John Johnson in Armley in 1894 and they moved to Wortley, where most of their children were born, then Chapeltown. I'm not researching the brooks on this site as they were from London and previously Devon, but anyone in Yorkshire connected to the Pearsons or johnsons. William Pearsons parents were selina and James.

iansmithofotley

Re: Johnson and Pearson families, Holbeck

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Rebekah,

I did a bit of research on Ancestry last night and found that Selina Harriet Johnson was buried at Beckett Street Cemetery, Leeds, on 12th March 1912. The home address shown was 16 Sheepscar Street, Leeds (the 1911 Census states 16 Sheepscar Terrace).

There are quite a few Family Trees (at least seven), on Ancestry, for John Johnson. I don't know how far you have got, if you are researching your whole Family History, or how you are doing it (online, Ancestry, Find My Past, etc., or by other methods). So far as relates to the Pearsons, Shellams, etc., I came across some marriages and census records but it is difficult to do without further information about where they were from and when. Harry Johnson and John Johnson both had big families (at least eight children) and it would be a very big job to research the families properly.

There is a website called 'Curious Fox' that you could try for information. It costs £5.50p per year to join and the details are:

http://www.curiousfox.com/

I used it myself, a few years ago, and got a lot of useful information,

I hope that this helps. If I get any further details, then I will come back to you.

Ian

RebeccaPeace

Re: Johnson and Pearson families, Holbeck

Post by RebeccaPeace »

Hi Rebekah,
I hope you are well! It's been two years since you posted, so I hope this is not too late and you receive a notification for my reply. I am descended from the Brooks and was wondering which site you are or were researching this side of your family instead? Selina's older brother or half-brother, William Henry Brooks (born in Exeter, 1872 but moved up to Leeds with his mother, Elizabeth, shortly after), was my great great grandfather and I'm trying to find out about the circumstances surrounding Elizabeth, and William Henry's birth, and who his father was. If you or anyone else has any further information, please do get in touch - I'd love to talk!