Osmondthorpe Fletchers

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
fester666art

Osmondthorpe Fletchers

Post by fester666art »

Hi all, just joined!

i was recently researching my maternal family history when i came across a relative (my GGGrandfather) who was a miner hewer at a pit in Osmondthorpe. I don`t know which pit it would have been exactly, i know there were a few in operation around that area (this was about 1881. His name was Amos Fletcher and it looks like the male relatives in the house ended up working pit jobs too according to the census. They lived at what i`m guessing would have been the very bottom of what was the old Osmondthorpe lane (probably around where it joins newmarket lane somewhere at the top)

He was born in eccleshall bierlow which i believe was an old parish in Sheffield in 1848 and it looks like further back his relatives were concentrated around markham, Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire, mostly in mining and steel.

I found loads of entries in our family tree concentrated mostly around york road which i guess speaks much about how mining influenced rural workers to move to where the work was when the industrial revolution kicked in...

just wondered if anyone had any info about anything related?? :)

uncle mick

Re: Osmondthorpe Fletchers

Post by uncle mick »

fester666art wrote:Hi all, just joined!

i was recently researching my maternal family history when i came across a relative (my GGGrandfather) who was a miner hewer at a pit in Osmondthorpe. I don`t know which pit it would have been exactly, i know there were a few in operation around that area (this was about 1881. His name was Amos Fletcher and it looks like the male relatives in the house ended up working pit jobs too according to the census. They lived at what i`m guessing would have been the very bottom of what was the old Osmondthorpe lane (probably around where it joins newmarket lane somewhere at the top)

He was born in memberlist.php?sid=63a5126376735848cddd ... eccleshall bierlow which i believe was an old parish in Sheffield in 1848 and it looks like further back his relatives were concentrated around markham, Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire, mostly in mining and steel.

I found loads of entries in our family tree concentrated mostly around york road which i guess speaks much about how mining influenced rural workers to move to where the work was when the industrial revolution kicked in...

just wondered if anyone had any info about anything related?? :)
Is this the same Amos Fletcher I found it in the 1881 census
Amos Fletcher 1881.png
Amos Fletcher 1881.png (36.48 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
5 Cambridge Street http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
5 Cambridge Street.jpg
5 Cambridge Street.jpg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
Cambridge Street on a Side by Side map http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebysi ... ht=BingHyb

fester666art

Post by fester666art »

Hi Uncle Mick,

yes that is the same one!! I seem to recall in one census they lived here, i think by the time he was in his 50`s they were living on Osmondthorpe lane and the census record had a much larger family there too :) Amos Fletcher was my great great grandfather, my great grandmother was Hannah Moxon (nee Fletcher) one of his daughters. She had a bakery or grocers shop somewhere in the bayswaters in Harehills. Some of Amos' sons appear to have settled around York Road, (Balkan street and Chantrell street i think, near Pontefract lane) Through looking back further to when they came from Sheffield, looks like there were a concentration from Markham in Notts : one or two show up as being married in rural lincolnshire. I now work in Sheffield, and i used to live bang opposite where Cambridge street would have been for 9 years... odd to think you could be treading over the same areas your ancestors did!

cheers for that pic ;)

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi fester666art,

I don’t really know what information you are looking for but I have done a bit of searching on Ancestry.

On Ancestry, there are some Family Trees for Amos Fletcher, which you are probably aware of. The member trees are those of the Lightfoot family, the Tait family and the Ellis family. The Tait member tree is the most comprehensive and gives a lot of information with references.

Amos Fletcher appears to have been born in Sheffield in 1848 but I could not find an address for the family at that time. In the 1841 census, the family were not living in Sheffield and probably in Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire, as you know. The family appear to have moved to the Leeds area in about 1850.

The following censuses give various addresses for the immediate family of Amos Fletcher:

1848 Birth of Amos Fletcher in Sheffield
1851 18 Clay Row, Churwell, Near Leeds (parents’ address)
1861 9 Petty’s Fold, Beeston, Leeds (parents’ address)
1869 Marriage to Mary Preston in Leeds
1871 25 Grey Street, Leeds (his wife’s parents’ address)
1881 5 Cambridge Street, Leeds
1891 5 Cambridge Street, Leeds
1901 30 Osmondthorpe Lane, Leeds
1908 Death of Amos Fletcher in Leeds
1911 8 Berking Terrace, Leeds (wife and family)

I found that Amos Fletcher died some time in June 1908 and was buried in Beckett Street Cemetery, Leeds, on 23rd June 1908. At the time of his burial, the address was shown as 15 Everleigh Street, Leeds (off 190 York Road).

Grey Street and Cambridge Street were adjacent to each other off Mushroom Street, which was in the area between Sheepscar and Burmantofts. Berking Terrace was off Berking Avenue, York Road.

I could not see any addresses in the Osmondthorpe area other than the one at 30 Osmondthorpe Lane. I don’t think that ‘Newmarket Lane’ existed, under that name, in the late 1800’s but the road was there. I think it was probably named Newmarket Lane some time after the 1930’s. I could not find any addresses for the Amos family in that area.

I only searched until 1911 and I did not look for details of the extended family.

I hope that this helps.

Ian

fester666art

Post by fester666art »

Hi Ian :

this is great!! mine will be the Ellis entry on ancestry, i never saw a Tait one on there, very interesting...

that's a really comprehensive picture from the census info on how they moved about, i didn`t get nearly as much when i looked on there (i'm obviously not detective material :) ) I didn`t know he was buried in Beckett Street Cemetery either, i remember my gran (his granddaughter) saying she had auntie(s) buried in there, but not her Grandfather.

you`re right about newmarket Lane, it wouldn`t have existed then at all, it was probably nothing more than a dirt track, i get the impression Osmondthrope Lane was a rural lane then from the photos i`ve seen on Leodis.

thanks for taking the time to research this ;)

cheers

Fe$ter

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Here is Osmondthorpe Lane in 1899

:arrow:
Attachments
Osmondthorpe Lane 1899.jpg
Osmondthorpe Lane 1899.jpg (445.81 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?