New searches for Leeds info.

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
mugfakerJ

New searches for Leeds info.

Post by mugfakerJ »

Hi Guys,

I have quite recently discovered that I may have Leeds ancestry! Quite an honour I think!

It has only taken since the 1960s and the assistance of a contact in Australia with access to the latest census to get to this point, .

There are a few bits of info that may help me advance so I will be very grateful for any assistance available or pointers.

I need to know about a photo album manufacturer, "Halmac" Halliday & Co of Holbeck Lane, Leeds, I believe arround 1900 or earlier.

Also the names, Fleming: Grubb: Grubb Fleming: Hirst: Grieg: and Hirst Grieg: Any existing families of these names also.

The street names also, do they still exist and where are they,I couldn't find on Google. : Dennison Street, Leeds 1871. also if it falls in the area of interest of the forum: Braeston?? St, Bradford 1881?

I appreciate this is a big ask for a newcommer, but I really do want to confirm my ancestry in Leeds.

A big thank you to anyone who can assist.

John (Fleming)

buffaloskinner

Re: New searches for Leeds info.

Post by buffaloskinner »

Welcome to SL MugfakerJ, the number 1 site for Leeds info ;)

Brearton Street Bradford is at the back of the old Forster Square Station, see map below :arrow:

Denison Street ran parallel to Burley Road, but is now underneath the ITV studios and other warehouses

There are images of Denison Street on Leodis (which is invaluable for info on old Leeds) here http://tinyurl.com/kocfedk

Also a map of Denison Street below :arrow:

You will find some info on "Halmac" Halliday & Co, Holbeck Lane by googling them

Hope that helps

:arrow:
Attachments
Brearton Street Bradford 1900.JPG
Brearton Street Bradford 1900.JPG (134.71 KiB) Viewed 8948 times
Brearton Street Bradford.JPG
Brearton Street Bradford.JPG (73.8 KiB) Viewed 8948 times
Denison Street 1900.JPG
Denison Street 1900.JPG (143.04 KiB) Viewed 8948 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I thought the service road that runs parallel to burley road was Denison street, although much changed. but it seems its nameless.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Cardiarms,

If you mean the road between Burley Road and Denison Street, it was Christopher Street.

Ian

mugfakerJ

Post by mugfakerJ »

Thanks Guys,
that's a good start, does anyone know if "Halmac" Halliday & Co, Holbeck Lane are alive concern or defunct, I cannot find a current listing for them? Also were their sales mainly local uk wide?

John

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

C. H. Halliday and Co Ltd were incorporated on the 5th of Feb 1935 and their final accounts were made on the 31st Jan 1984 according to https://www.duedil.com/company/00296909 ... ny-limited. The last registered address was at the offices of Cork Gully, an insolvency practitioner on Albion Place. They had a patent granted in 1933 for a method of making photo stands so they must have been going for some time before then. When Halliday were actually in business they were based at Holbeck New Mills which is this complex: http://goo.gl/maps/BXVhC. There will be more info out there if you know what you want to find.

mugfakerJ

Post by mugfakerJ »

Thanks for the pointers, what I was hoping for was to find that their products were mainly sold locally, but the impression I get from the postings are that the product could have been purchased anywhere! I will have to take another look at the photos themselves to see if there are any further clues.
thanks again for the info, more is always welcome!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Here is a picture of Kirkstall after the demolition of all the back to backs.
I believe that Denison Street will be the road in the picture where the Mini Traveller and Vauxhall are parked

:arrow:
Attachments
Burley Rd_Viaduct.JPG
Burley Rd_Viaduct.JPG (683.31 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

scrabblerz

Post by scrabblerz »

If you think this firm was going around 1900 look in the Kellys Directory Local History Leeds Library they have yearly books going back to early 1800's which will give you location , owner , owners residence etc .

samboni

Post by samboni »

[aHi John,

I hope that you've found plenty of answers to your questions.
You may be interested to know that Halliday tried their hand at printing beermats. I have attached two that I know of- from John J. Hunt of York and the Scarborough and Whitby Breweries. Hunts took over S&W in 1953, so perhaps the mats date from a little after that year.

Cheers, Tony
068349_f.jpg
068349_f.jpg (141.4 KiB) Viewed 6779 times
067719_f.jpg
067719_f.jpg (134.98 KiB) Viewed 6779 times