My Hunslet

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

A bloke I worked with said he once saw a dog cocking its leg on some breadcakes standing by the doorstep. Whether it was meant to put me off them or was just a joke I don't know but it didn't work.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Johnny39 wrote: A bloke I worked with said he once saw a dog cocking its leg on some breadcakes standing by the doorstep. Whether it was meant to put me off them or was just a joke I don't know but it didn't work. That made me laugh johnny 39.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

tilly wrote: Johnny39 wrote: A bloke I worked with said he once saw a dog cocking its leg on some breadcakes standing by the doorstep. Whether it was meant to put me off them or was just a joke I don't know but it didn't work. That made me laugh johnny 39. My pleasure Tilly.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Hunslet Sue

Post by Hunslet Sue »

Hi Blakey - sorry I don't know your friend Jack and the only Swan I knew was the Swan Junction ( or Swan with Two necks I think it was called? -Could be wrong of course) I know there was poverty in Hunslet and overcrowding but I never realised it at the time - just thought it was a great place to be.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Hunslet Sue wrote: Hi Blakey - sorry I don't know your friend Jack and the only Swan I knew was the Swan Junction ( or Swan with Two necks I think it was called? -Could be wrong of course) I know there was poverty in Hunslet and overcrowding but I never realised it at the time - just thought it was a great place to be. Thanks Sue - I suppose there's not a lot of chance of seeing Jack now, as we're all 77 and he may have moved away many years ago. I think that Swan Junction was the nickname for where Waterloo Road joined Hunslet Road - it was a "timing point" on the LCT services to and from Belle Isle and Middleton and seven minutes was allowed to/from Briggate or Corn Exchange - even in conductor days it was very tight indeed - and of course the bus route was via Hunslet Road (as was) direct to/from Leeds Bridge.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Swan with Two Necks (Swan Junction as the corner was called) I have stood at that bus stop many a time waiting for the bus to Miggy Garagehttp://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Hunslet Sue

Post by Hunslet Sue »

the Swan Junction used to be where all the St Josephs kids caught their buses home to Belle Isle - there was a zebra crossing with a belisha beacon near so you could cross safely. With it being the only Catholic infant and junior school around kids came from all over. I was in the same class as a girl who came every day from Roundhay.