My Hunslet

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
tilly

Post by tilly »

My sands of time are running low but in my mind I still can go to cobbled streets and outside loos worn out clothes and worn out shoes. Where all the people were as one and all the days were full of fun.Donkey Stones,Dolly Blue, Mangles Possers Set Pots too Yorkist Range old tin bath jump in there and have a laugh.Hunslet Station not that far LMS LNER smells of sulphur in the air flying by to who knows where.Hunslet Moor has almost gone a place where we had hours of fun iron fountain iron sinks where we would stop for endless drinks.Dustbin lorrys we would ride on the back where we could hide then jumping off take to our heels before the depot at Pottery Fields. Hide and seek spinning top liquorice root drinks of pop with wooden swords we would play and live to fight another day.Short baggy trousers bought from town one sock up and one sock down pocket money who needs that when you possess an own made bat.Factorys were everywhere the smell of oil pollutes the air sad to say they have all gone but in my mind they linger on.        
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I assume you know about this website tilly http://www.hunslet.org/ but for anyone that doesn't I can recommend it.

tilly

Post by tilly »

uncle mick wrote: I assume you know about this website tilly http://www.hunslet.org/ but for anyone that doesn't I can recommend it. Thanks for that uncle mick I have not been on that site for a while I must keep up with it.

Hunslet Sue

Post by Hunslet Sue »

I love Hunslet - my mother's family all originated from there. I moved away years ago but still very proud I was born there.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Hunslet Sue wrote: I love Hunslet - my mother's family all originated from there. I moved away years ago but still very proud I was born there. Funny Sue how we remember odd things from long ago. My first eight weeks in the RAF in November/December 1954 were at Hednesford in Staffordshire and one of the lads in the billet was from Hunslet. He was called Jack Swan or Swann - was very tall, and a real comedian - his defiant (to the NCOs) banter cheered us up no end in the vile cold weather and he was completely fearless. Funny, since I lived in Ilkley then and scarcely knew where Hunslet was, that I can remember that he lived in the prefabs and the address was either 61 or 62 Low Road. I suppose you don't know of him ??    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

skippy

Post by skippy »

tilly wrote: My sands of time are running low but in my mind I still can go to cobbled streets and outside loos worn out clothes and worn out shoes. Where all the people were as one and all the days were full of fun.Donkey Stones,Dolly Blue, Mangles Possers Set Pots too Yorkist Range old tin bath jump in there and have a laugh.Hunslet Station not that far LMS LNER smells of sulphur in the air flying by to who knows where.Hunslet Moor has almost gone a place where we had hours of fun iron fountain iron sinks where we would stop for endless drinks.Dustbin lorrys we would ride on the back where we could hide then jumping off take to our heels before the depot at Pottery Fields. Hide and seek spinning top liquorice root drinks of pop with wooden swords we would play and live to fight another day.Short baggy trousers bought from town one sock up and one sock down pocket money who needs that when you possess an own made bat.Factorys were everywhere the smell of oil pollutes the air sad to say they have all gone but in my mind they linger on.        
brenda littlejohn

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

skippy wrote: tilly wrote: My sands of time..........     What a wonderfully written piece - it brings back so many memories of times which were so much simpler and better in many ways - but not all ways of course, as many nasty diseases were still commonplace and for many folks living conditions were what we really wouldn't like now. So, its the old situation of "swings and roundabouts" isn't it ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

tilly

Post by tilly »

BLAKEY wrote: skippy wrote: tilly wrote: My sands of time..........     What a wonderfully written piece - it brings back so many memories of times which were so much simpler and better in many ways - but not all ways of course, as many nasty diseases were still commonplace and for many folks living conditions were what we really wouldn't like now. So, its the old situation of "swings and roundabouts" isn't it ?? Thank you BLAKEY I must say it comes from the heart yes things were hard but as kids we never thought that way How my mum brought me and my sister up on her own I cant answer that I know she had at one time three jobs to go to in the day god bless her but I am the person I am today because of my childhood. If my life were to start again I would want a poor childhood because I know what I have now is far better than we had then in a lot of ways.When I hear people moan about this day and age it makes my blood boil no hand outs back then unless you passed the means test

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

tilly - another poem                                 OLD HUNSLETHave you ever been to Hunslet, or walked down Hunslet Lane,Mid the dirt and grime of Church Street, or heard the folks complain.Have you seen the little houses with breadcakes on the door,And found a real Leeds welcome with the folks who live next door.Have you been to Stillhouse yard on a Friday night,To fix the kids with boots or clothes by a flickering paraffin light.Have you walked past Tolston's tripe shop and along to Penny Hill,Or had a drink in the Garden Gate - the pub that stands there still.Have you ever been on Hunslet Moor, or in the Anchor Pub,Or visited the old Swan Junction or been in the Liberal Club.Have you ever been down Balm Road where the steelworks used to lie.Now they're pulling down old Hunslet and we must watch it dieTaken from http://www.hunslet.org/    

tilly

Post by tilly »

uncle mick wrote: tilly - another poem                                 OLD HUNSLETHave you ever been to Hunslet, or walked down Hunslet Lane,Mid the dirt and grime of Church Street, or heard the folks complain.Have you seen the little houses with breadcakes on the door,And found a real Leeds welcome with the folks who live next door.Have you been to Stillhouse yard on a Friday night,To fix the kids with boots or clothes by a flickering paraffin light.Have you walked past Tolston's tripe shop and along to Penny Hill,Or had a drink in the Garden Gate - the pub that stands there still.Have you ever been on Hunslet Moor, or in the Anchor Pub,Or visited the old Swan Junction or been in the Liberal Club.Have you ever been down Balm Road where the steelworks used to lie.Now they're pulling down old Hunslet and we must watch it dieTaken from http://www.hunslet.org/     Nice one uncle mick Breadcakes by the door my mum did that to let them cool.Balm Road I used to go to St Chads scout group down there Hunslet Lane was full of shops not one now, I remember the Swan though I was not old enough to go in also the prefabs near it i used to go to the Regal Picture House just down the road from it. My local picture house was the Strand on Jack Lane also the Palace, at the junction of Meadow Lane and Beeston Road plus the Queens at the end of Jack Lane the Malvern Beeston, How could you afford it I hear people ask well we did things to make a few pennys ie collect pop bottles and take them back to the shop collect old newspapers and weigh them in go down to the Gas Works with an old pram to bring back coke for people for the fire About.the pop bottles I have a confession we would climb over the back wall of the shop and take a few from is yard and sell them back to him in time he twigged what we were doing so he stamped a blue star on the empty bottle labels it was ok while it lasted.