John(ny) "Trigger" Flynn

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
ElizabethLoren88

Post by ElizabethLoren88 »

Hi all, I have just joined the group after reading some very interesting, funny and reminisant posts.I am trying to find out more information on my Grandad.I would love to have known him as the stories I have been told by family members paint him in brilliant light, a real character. His name was John Flynn, aka Johnny or especially, Trigger. He worked on a fruit and veg stall in Leeds Kirkgate market all of his life and was husband to Sheila and father to Tina. I was only 4years old when he died (05/01/1993, aged 59) - he must have been well known/loved as at his funeral the grounds of Lawnswood Crematoriam was awash with people from the pubs/stall holders, family and friends... I know that he spent a hell of a lot of time in Leeds market pubs, especially the Madhouse, the Duck and Drake, Regent Inn, the Scottsman? and General Elliott... to name but a few.. Unfortunately, there is only really my mum that can tell me about him now due to other members of the family's ill health and death. But as she was only a child/young woman when he passed away there is only so much information I can get from her. If anyone on here could shed light on my Grandad's life and antics that would be fantastic as I want to retain the memory of him for as long as I can.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Hi Elizabeth. I knew your grandad though he was only a acquaintance. I had a fruit & veg shop in Leeds market from 1982 till 2000.I knew he liked to go in the " Mad House" ( Market Tavern) and also the "Diddley Dee" ( Royal Oak). He sometimes sold me holly at Christmas & told me it came from Lord Harewoods estate, I doubt if Lord Harewood knew about it There were some great characters about then & occasionally when I go in the market nowadays I can't believe it's the same place

ElizabethLoren88

Post by ElizabethLoren88 »

that's brilliant to know, thank you so much. I told my mum about what you'd said and she said she could believe it and that he used to come home with all sorts. Can I ask, do you still know anyone who would know him also? x

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

ElizabethLoren88 wrote: that's brilliant to know, thank you so much. I told my mum about what you'd said and she said she could believe it and that he used to come home with all sorts. Can I ask, do you still know anyone who would know him also? x Sorry Elizabeth I can't help you there as I left the market in 2000 and have lost touch with the people I knew there