John(ny) "Trigger" Flynn

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
ElizabethLoren88

Postby ElizabethLoren88 » Wed 31 Jul, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi all,

I have just joined the group after reading some very interesting, funny and reminisant posts.

I am trying to find out more information on my Grandad.

I would love to have known him as the stories I have been told by family members paint him in brilliant light, a real character. His name was John Flynn, aka Johnny or especially, Trigger. He worked on a fruit and veg stall in Leeds Kirkgate market all of his life and was husband to Sheila and father to Tina. I was only 4years old when he died (05/01/1993, aged 59) - he must have been well known/loved as at his funeral the grounds of Lawnswood Crematoriam was awash with people from the pubs/stall holders, family and friends...

I know that he spent a hell of a lot of time in Leeds market pubs, especially the Madhouse, the Duck and Drake, Regent Inn, the Scottsman? and General Elliott... to name but a few..

Unfortunately, there is only really my mum that can tell me about him now due to other members of the family's ill health and death. But as she was only a child/young woman when he passed away there is only so much information I can get from her.

If anyone on here could shed light on my Grandad's life and antics that would be fantastic as I want to retain the memory of him for as long as I can.
uncle mick

Postby uncle mick » Wed 31 Jul, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi Elizabeth. I knew your grandad though he was only a acquaintance. I had a fruit & veg shop in Leeds market from 1982 till 2000.

I knew he liked to go in the " Mad House" ( Market Tavern) and also the "Diddley Dee" ( Royal Oak). He sometimes sold me holly at Christmas & told me it came from Lord Harewoods estate, I doubt if Lord Harewood knew about it Regular Smiley

There were some great characters about then & occasionally when I go in the market nowadays I can't believe it's the same place
ElizabethLoren88

Postby ElizabethLoren88 » Sun 04 Aug, 2013 4:05 pm

that's brilliant to know, thank you so much. I told my mum about what you'd said and she said she could believe it Regular Smiley and that he used to come home with all sorts.

Can I ask, do you still know anyone who would know him also?

Laugh x
uncle mick

Postby uncle mick » Mon 05 Aug, 2013 1:47 pm

ElizabethLoren88 wrote:
that's brilliant to know, thank you so much. I told my mum about what you'd said and she said she could believe it Regular Smiley and that he used to come home with all sorts.

Can I ask, do you still know anyone who would know him also?

Laugh x

Sorry Elizabeth I can't help you there as I left the market in 2000 and have lost touch with the people I knew there

Return to