THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Leodian

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by Leodian »

I don't know if it is the case or not but plain postcards do not seem to be seen anymore. I'm not thinking of such as seaside postcards which are presumably still sent (the old saucy ones still make me smile ;) ). That plain postcards may no longer be seen came to my mind when I recently found several Lion brand white postcards stuck away in a drawer. It must be very many years since I last used a plain postcard (those with the address to be written on one side with a space for a stamp and the message written on the other side).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Plain white postcards can be bought at all stationery outlets such as Staples, WH Smith and Rymans etc along with office supply companies

:arrow:
Attachments
Postcards.JPG
Postcards.JPG (46.7 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Ok, I was wrong buffaloskinner and so I now know that plain postcards are still in common use. You stated "Plain white postcards can be bought at all stationery outlets such as Staples, WH Smith and Rymans etc along with office supply companies" but did you really need to list places that sell them and even include an advert for one of them to show how wrong I am? :( You could have worded your response in a pleasant way rather than the unfriendly way it reads to me.

PS. I've just remembered that I do still use a postcard! I've used one for some years now to slide under a tumbler that I trap spiders in, as the postcard is thin and strong enough. The postcard is dirty now so it's time to use a new one from my stock ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Wiljoy

Post by Wiljoy »

BABIES NAPPIES HANGING OUT ON THE CLOTHESLINE.
Australians all let us rejoice fr we are 1-2-3 :D

Wiljoy

Post by Wiljoy »

volvojack wrote:
Wanderer wrote:White dog poo.....
Mmm............ Well I have had a word with a Professor at Knostrop University and he say's it certainly is a subject not to be sniffed at but at the moment they are not researching this sort of thing at this time.
I HAVE MY DOUBTS ABOUT THE TRUTHFULNESS OF THE PROFESSORS STATEMENT??
Australians all let us rejoice fr we are 1-2-3 :D

jgl1954

Post by jgl1954 »

Wing mirrors on cars....they're all on the doors now. You don't see many aerials either nowadays.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Fly Paper hanging down in Kitchens with Bluebottles and flys stuck on them. some shops had them years ago where one had to be careful otherwise it touched your hair or face.

I have not seen a Milk Float in the Streets for a long time, my pal Alfie had the same round up Belle Isle for many years but has given up as during the night he has been threatened, robbed once and as he says Youths just walk up and help themselves.
Last edited by volvojack on Fri 22 Jul, 2016 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi volvojack You can still buy them now i saw some in poundland last week dont know who would use now.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jgl1954 wrote:Wing mirrors on cars....they're all on the doors now. You don't see many aerials either nowadays.

or the indicators that used to come out of the side between the front and rear door and light up orange, sometimes they would stick and not come out so you would have to open the window and hit the car side with your hand as you steered around the bend.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

"Chalker Uppers"
Only people of a certain age will remember "Chalker Uppers" before gambling was legalised you could only back a horse on the racetrck so every district had its illegal betting offices including the city centre (not just leeds, throughout England) these were hidden away, some where upstairs in rickety old buildings or back of a shop, mainly just a small one roomed property.
each one had a large blackboard on one wall and it was the Chalker Uppers job to write out all the runners of every race on this board. there could be two or even three race meetings so it was a long, laborious job copying these names from the morning race paper. He would usually start about 9 am. later during racing hours he also had to chalk up the results, winners and prices, so he was a busy man in those days.

In laer years the runners of each race were printed out and so just needed to be pinned to the boards