THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
volvojack

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]I saw the show with the rattle correct me if i am wrong but i dont remember there being a metal plate on the ones i have seen.Was this a repair or were some made like this.?

I too never ever saw one that was not all wood tilly, so guess it was a repair job.

jma

Post by jma »

Although it's hard to be certain 60 odd years later, I'm pretty sure that the one we had was all wood. Having said that, although there seems to have been some pre-war ARP preparation, there must have been a need to get a lot of rattles PDQ. It's possible there may have been more than one design if they had to go to more than one supplier. We moved from Armley to Castleford in 1954 and a lot of our junk never made the trip.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]Although it's hard to be certain 60 odd years later, I'm pretty sure that the one we had was all wood. Having said that, although there seems to have been some pre-war ARP preparation, there must have been a need to get a lot of rattles PDQ. It's possible there may have been more than one design if they had to go to more than one supplier. We moved from Armley to Castleford in 1954 and a lot of our junk never made the trip.

My Dad took my brother and i down to a sports shop on Leeds bridge, think it was called Wainwrights and bought us one. he then continued on into town for his Saturday pint and we got the Tram home to the Gipton Estate fighting all the way over who should hold it plus a dirty look from the Conductor after we had one trial twirl.
As you say A.R.P. men had them during the War

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

You don't ever see the great Variety / Rock and Roll Shows we used to get in the 60s and even into the 70s.
Roy Orbison, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran etc. on the same Bill on the Odeon stage. Billy Fury, Marty Wilde.

Sammy Davis Junior with his One Man Show. (Singing,Dancing plus great Impersonations )

Billy Daniels (Old Black Magic ) at the Empire. Billy Ecksine was not even top othe Bill at one show i went to.

Mam, get my Bopping shoes out.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]Although it's hard to be certain 60 odd years later, I'm pretty sure that the one we had was all wood. Having said that, although there seems to have been some pre-war ARP preparation, there must have been a need to get a lot of rattles PDQ. It's possible there may have been more than one design if they had to go to more than one supplier. We moved from Armley to Castleford in 1954 and a lot of our junk never made the trip.

Your mention of Castleford reminds me that in 1960 i was working for a carpet firm in Cross York St. and i was sent to open a shop in Bank Street (opp. what was the Post Office) i palled up with a lad who managed the Travel Agents next door and we used to go for a couple of pints every day and on what was known as Miners Monday the Pubs opened until 4 p.m. and we used get plenty down us as the town was deserted in the afternoon.

jma

Post by jma »

I was only sixteen when we left Cas in 1961, so I never went in any boozers there. We lived over what used to be a paint and wallpaper shop at number 8 Carlton Street, opposite the Miners' Arms. The shop is now a chinese restaurant. All I remember about the licensing hours in Cas at that time was opening at 6pm and closing on the dot at 10pm. (No drinking up time in those days of course.) Although there was a gents in the alley through from Carlton Street to the open air market, the first job when the shop opened was to mop up in the recessed doorway of the shop. We had a plate-glass window smashed once.

Re carpet fitting, does the name Barry Crowson ring any bells?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Certainly does, from memory Barry was the or one of the Foremen carpet fitters when we worked for Modern Flooecovering Co. The workrooms were the old schoolroom on Barrack Road next to the Church (St. Marks maybe) in those days the female carpet sewers /sowers sat on low stools around a carpet in the traditional way. there waere about half a dozen lads who went out fitting the completed job, Barry being one of them. In those days, late 50s and well into the 60s this company had a grip on the local carpet trade with shops in Cross York St Leeds, Barnsley, Dewsbury and Castleford unntil the owner who incidentally had a half share in the Lido Club in Albion Walk Leeds gambled it all away and finished up virtually penniless.
Strangly enough i can't recall Barry's facial features, i do remember he was on the small side but then again it was nearly 60 yeaars ago.

jma

Post by jma »

Small world!

Barry is or was my late mother's cousin. His mother was my mother's auntie Lily, but they were more or less brought up as sisters, to the extent of being at school together like big sister and little sister. I last saw him at his mother's funeral in Keadby probably in 2009 so I don't know if he is still alive. I know he moved to the North East some years ago. I still have all my mother's old photo albums so I'll look for one of Barry although the only one I remember with any certainty was when we would both have been children on holiday at Charity Farm, Sewerby, near Brid. He's probably seven or eight years older than me.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Anyone under 70 or so will probably wonder what i am on about.
There was a time when family or a couple would go the coast like Blacpool, Scarboro or Bridlington for a holiday and have to stay in a Boarding House and share the toilets /Bathroom with every room on your landing, this meant not only an unpleasant wait queuing outside the toilet but even worse when you get inside.
The terms were usually Bed, Breakfast which was at the time O.K. but the Evening meal this could be quite a ordeal if you were a couple because you would be put at a table with two complete strangers. In the middle of the table there was usually a three tieredcake stand and on the bottom was bread and butter slices, then maybe malt loaf or battenburg cake but on the top were cakes with maybe just one cream cake with was eyed up by all four at the table. it was a question of politeness and who had the nerve to go for the prize. whoever did got the evil eye from the couple sat opposite and the following evening battle lines had been drawn up. just go for it and by the end of the week that' were, i think the phrase "Bun fight" was born. I should mention there was still food rationing even after the War.
Happy Days.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack and Mick,

Ancestry shows a Barry Crowson who was born in Leeds in 1938 and married in Leeds in 1958. Also, there is a person with this name, which is quite rare, living in Roundhay, according to the British Phone Book, but it might not be the same person.

Ian