THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
The Birds

Post by The Birds »

Caron that sounds nice though. Our flowers were horrendous but we had to keep them for years - just in case!
:):(

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Its probably been mentioned but you dont see the traditional rag and bone men around Leeds anymore. Unfortunately they have been replaced by these scrap metal collectors who drive round in Ford transit pick-ups and they will take anything from anyones garden that isnt bolted down. I can remember 20 odd years ago in Morley we had regular rag and bone men with horse and cart who would roam the streets shouting out strange undecipherable calls. You would hear the call first and then as the calls from the rag and bone man got louder you'd start to hear the 'clip-clop' of the horses hooves. I can remember a few years back I was driving around the Cutler Heights / Holme Wood area of Bradford and I saw several young lads driving old style horse drawn rag and bone carts and collecting scrap metal.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

tilly

Post by tilly »

We still see a horse and cart around Pudsey looking for scrap.I think they come from the Bradford area.Has Jon says its not the norm in this day and age.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

jonleeds wrote: Its probably been mentioned but you dont see the traditional rag and bone men around Leeds anymore. Unfortunately they have been replaced by these scrap metal collectors who drive round in Ford transit pick-ups and they will take anything from anyones garden that isnt bolted down. I can remember 20 odd years ago in Morley we had regular rag and bone men with horse and cart who would roam the streets shouting out strange undecipherable calls. You would hear the call first and then as the calls from the rag and bone man got louder you'd start to hear the 'clip-clop' of the horses hooves. I can remember a few years back I was driving around the Cutler Heights / Holme Wood area of Bradford and I saw several young lads driving old style horse drawn rag and bone carts and collecting scrap metal. A lot of gypsies live in the area beteen Tong and Cutler Heights Lane. Wasn't there a murder there recently? They certainly keep horses there. I nearly ran into one that had got loose on New Lane.I'm old enough to remember horsedrawn deliveries being a regular feature in Morley, apart from the rag and bone man, there was the chip man (kindling) the vinegar man, the Co-op coal, grocery and milk carts, and Rington's tea. All leaving copious piles of manure for us to scrape up for our grandma's rose tree.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

[quotenick="majorhoundii"][quotenick="jonleeds"]Its probably been mentioned but you dont see the traditional rag and bone men around Leeds anymore. Unfortunately they have been replaced by these scrap metal collectors who drive round in Ford transit pick-ups and they will take anything from anyones garden that isnt bolted down. I think it very likely that the horse-drawn scrap carts come from Bradford, where they delight in reducing traffic to a crawl on major roads. But even here they were a rare sight until the last year or so - probably the recent massive increases in scrap metal prices are the reason for their resurgence. According to local intelligence, ponies and carts are available for hire in Bradford.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Uno Hoo wrote: I think it very likely that the horse-drawn scrap carts come from Bradford, where they delight in reducing traffic to a crawl on major roads. But even here they were a rare sight until the last year or so - probably the recent massive increases in scrap metal prices are the reason for their resurgence. According to local intelligence, ponies and carts are available for hire in Bradford. I quite often see them around Wyke / Scholes (the Bradford ones) and into that side of Calderdale, and as you say they are a nightmare to other traffic as the horses often seem very skittish.If you venture to Halifax there are signs on the Burdock Way flyover banning horse drawn vehicles...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

The Birds

Post by The Birds »

"Rag n bone" was shouted down our street yesterday and when I looked out a rag and bone man was going past complete with horse and cart - couldn't believe it as we usually only see them around Bradford Dick Lane area. I took a photo but don't know how to download/upload or whatever onto this site.
:):(

Caron

Post by Caron »

As a young child in the 60's I remember rained upon flagstones in town that were absolutely filthy. So filthy were they that you'd slip and slide on them when they were wet.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Eye level grills and rotisseries.

Caron

Post by Caron »

I can't remember the last time a stranger asked me for the time. Suppose it's because we all have mobile phones now.