THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi Edlong, no Victoria Road Junior and Infant schools Maypole used to be erected on the flat grassy area directly opposite the school on Victoria Road itself. Apparently this area used to be known as Morley Hole as it was some kind of depression in the ground within which were built rows of slum housing up until the early 20th century. I know about the old 'Feast ground' that used to be just off Nepshaw lane, when I was at Morley Victoria in the late 70s / early 80s the 'Feast' and circus used to visit regularly. I can remember myelf and my friend once went there aged about 8 year old with no money whatsoever, we found about 3 pence in the bottom of a one armed bandit and managed to turn it into £3.30 which seemed like a fabulous amount of money to us then - we stuffed ourselves silly with candy floss, toffee apples etc! I dont know if the 'Feast' still visits Morley, last time I heard it had moved to a location just off Albert Road overlooking Morley Low station.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I was trying to get an envelope moistener of the water roller type we used to have in our offices only a few years ago.It appears they aren't made now.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Steve. We used to use a plastic bottle with a sponge on the end (dabber) I believe that you can still get them. Dont remember a roller tho.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

buffaloskinner wrote: Steve. We used to use a plastic bottle with a sponge on the end (dabber) I believe that you can still get them. Dont remember a roller tho. yes,I have one of them.water rollers consist of a tray containing water with either a stone roller or in later models a plastic roller encased in india rubber which revolves and holds water on the roller to moisten the envelope.I prefer them to the bottle type. i have recently changed sections at work so am faced with using lots of brown envelopes.The government doesn't use self sealing ones for money saving purposes.I suspect the self sealing envelopes ended the use of water rollers.I am hoping some friends can find an old one for me.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Cardiarms wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... r&_sacat=0 I too looked on there first.You will notice that the types I describe are in the USA and are the older stone type.I am still hopeful of getting one here.Offices up to 5 years back always had a lot lurking in desks and on window sills in my experience.The civil service certainly had anyway but not in my office now alas!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Whitsuntide clothes. Anyone remember this tradition? All the kids in my locality got new clothes for Whit. I got new everything ,shirt,tie short trousers,socks and shoes,maybe a sleeveless wooly jumper! We would then go round our neighbours to show them off and they would give you some money for your new clothes! I don't know how our parents afforded to buy these things but they did somehow. I can remember one year in about 1951-2 .I had been to my Grans in Holbeck to show her my new clothes and was waiting outside the "workhouse" in Lane End Place for the 46 bus back to Hall Ln ,Armley,when some kids who were resident there tried to rob me.I ran like the wind back to my Grans losing most of the money people had given me out of my pockets! The kids chasing me stopped to pick the coins up so I was able to escape! After I'd recovered I went back out but waited at the stop at Dewsbury Rd Police Station!
ex-Armley lad

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi stutterdog. I recall the Whitsun clothes and going round the neighbours and getting a few pennies (for any young ones here that was in old money when there were 240 pennies to the £). Ah yes, those sleeveless woolly jumpers! . A woolly jumper sounds like a sheep.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Game dealers on game row in the market - last one's shut.    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Leodian wrote: Hi stutterdog. I recall the Whitsun clothes and going round the neighbours and getting a few pennies (for any young ones here that was in old money when there were 240 pennies to the £). Ah yes, those sleeveless woolly jumpers! . A woolly jumper sounds like a sheep. Hi Leodian, I suppose I should have called the jumper a pullover or possibly to confuse some of our younger contributors, a ganzi ! Wonder where that word came from?
ex-Armley lad