THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
zip55

Post by zip55 »

stutterdog wrote: Leodian wrote: Hi stutterdog. I recall the Whitsun clothes and going round the neighbours and getting a few pennies (for any young ones here that was in old money when there were 240 pennies to the £). Ah yes, those sleeveless woolly jumpers! . A woolly jumper sounds like a sheep. Hi Leodian, I suppose I should have called the jumper a pullover or possibly to confuse some of our younger contributors, a ganzi ! Wonder where that word came from? Sleeveless Jumpers - Also known as Slip Overs ... Fair Isle of course.

jim

Post by jim »

Ganzi = gansey = Guernsey. Wikipedia page for "gansey" gives full details.    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

zip55 wrote: stutterdog wrote: Leodian wrote: Hi stutterdog. I recall the Whitsun clothes and going round the neighbours and getting a few pennies (for any young ones here that was in old money when there were 240 pennies to the £). Ah yes, those sleeveless woolly jumpers! . A woolly jumper sounds like a sheep. Hi Leodian, I suppose I should have called the jumper a pullover or possibly to confuse some of our younger contributors, a ganzi ! Wonder where that word came from? Sleeveless Jumpers - Also known as Slip Overs ... Fair Isle of course. Hi zip55,Thats jogged my memory,Fair Isle! Was that a Trade Mark?
ex-Armley lad

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Fair Isle patterned jumpers were ones knitted in patterns specific to Fair Isle, which is mid way between Orkney and Shetland. Shetland has its own patterns.In the fishing communities of north east Scotland, ganseys were traditionally worn by fishermen when at sea. Each village had its own pattern. In days of old, in the event of drowning, the body could be linked to its village through identification of the pattern. The Timespan Museum in Helmsdale has a fascinating collection of these patterns. Each pattern is displayed with the name of its village.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Those metal (cast iron?) sole shoe/boot scraper things which were just beside the door entrance which led into the house. Sometimes they were built into the house outside wall near the door.

Caron

Post by Caron »

zip55 wrote: stutterdog wrote: Leodian wrote: Hi stutterdog. I recall the Whitsun clothes and going round the neighbours and getting a few pennies (for any young ones here that was in old money when there were 240 pennies to the £). Ah yes, those sleeveless woolly jumpers! . A woolly jumper sounds like a sheep. Hi Leodian, I suppose I should have called the jumper a pullover or possibly to confuse some of our younger contributors, a ganzi ! Wonder where that word came from? Sleeveless Jumpers - Also known as Slip Overs ... Fair Isle of course. Much later known as "Tank Tops".

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Dalehelms wrote: Fair Isle patterned jumpers were ones knitted in patterns specific to Fair Isle, which is mid way between Orkney and Shetland. Shetland has its own patterns.In the fishing communities of north east Scotland, ganseys were traditionally worn by fishermen when at sea. Each village had its own pattern. In days of old, in the event of drowning, the body could be linked to its village through identification of the pattern. The Timespan Museum in Helmsdale has a fascinating collection of these patterns. Each pattern is displayed with the name of its village. That's brilliant! Never heard about that before. Have heard of Fair Isle jumpers but never knew where the name came from. Did they have a specific label inside the top?
ex-Armley lad

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Most lads owned a Junior at some pointAnd (to me) great TV

Caron

Post by Caron »

stutterdog wrote: Dalehelms wrote: Fair Isle patterned jumpers were ones knitted in patterns specific to Fair Isle, which is mid way between Orkney and Shetland. Shetland has its own patterns.In the fishing communities of north east Scotland, ganseys were traditionally worn by fishermen when at sea. Each village had its own pattern. In days of old, in the event of drowning, the body could be linked to its village through identification of the pattern. The Timespan Museum in Helmsdale has a fascinating collection of these patterns. Each pattern is displayed with the name of its village. That's brilliant! Never heard about that before. Have heard of Fair Isle jumpers but never knew where the name came from. Did they have a specific label inside the top? Watched a prog re the above and they were still being hand knitted though the elderly lady who was knitting one did say that not as many were called for now.    

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

As far as I know, the ganseys are still knitted by hand. There is still a very strong tradition of hand knitting in Helmsdale, both in the home and in community and church groups.