THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Faffing around having to buy & fit the s*dding plug Having bought summat electrical (in the pre-digital age) usually from Comet on Armley Road.Which for our younger viewers was, I think, herehttp://goo.gl/maps/ip8NTOoh they don't know they're born today~ Yooooo, sat sitting there, yooooo ~ etc (to quote wiggy)    

Flickerfree

Post by Flickerfree »

green finial on a saturday night
Flickerfree

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

[quotenick="Jogon"]Faffing around having to buy & fit the s*dding plug Having bought summat electrical (in the pre-digital age) usually from Comet on Armley Road.Which for our younger viewers was, I think, herehttp://goo.gl/maps/ip8NTMFI next door ???????????

Caron

Post by Caron »

1) Long summer days.2) No end of television aerials on chimney stacks.3) Folk wearing built up shoes due to Polio.    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Caron wrote: 3) Folk wearing built up shoes due to Polio.     Funnily enough I was having a conversation with a friend about this the other day. They've simply disappeared haven't they?* Which can only be a good thing, obviously.* - apart from a brief revival when the Spice Girls were first around.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

BJF

Post by BJF »

"I Stand Corrected!- A history of those big shoes"

Suvi

Post by Suvi »

being able to buy things you expect to last a lifetime or morecaused havoc recently when I took my late grandmas east german 1949 iron into an electric repair outlet. The wiring had gone through, all I wanted was a new plugactually anyone know of anyone with the know how? It's a frigging good iron

Suvi

Post by Suvi »

Ravey davey that I can help you with anyone wanting spare size 4 L and size 7 R shoes I'm your women, that said you can now pad the smaller one out so you look erm normal

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Has anyone mentioned Maypoles yet? I can remember when we were at infants and junior school in Morley in the 1970s every springtime we would dance around a Maypole which was erected on what used to be 'Morley Hole' opposite my old school. It was a gay affair with the big white wooden pole with coloured ribbons and we would all learn different dances that involved skipping around the Maypole to sort of folksy sounding music, at particular parts of the music we would stop and alternate direction and weave in amongst one another so as to produce a pattern in the ribbons. We used to have to practise a fair bit to get it right then on the day when we did it - May day? All our parents and Morley dignitaries would attend. I think there might have been a thing later on where a wicker man filled with animals and a 40 year old virgin was burned (only joking!). Does anyone else remember these Mayday celebrations? Do they still happen? It wouldnt surprise me if they've been banned by the politically correct lot because they were deemed offensive, or health and safety clamped down on 'dangerous' Maypoles! I can remember our Maypole was especially rickety and the thing on the top that the coloured ribbons were attached to always looked as if it was gonna come flying off! Even though I'm not exactly old myself I sometimes feel as though I was born in a different age, even when I try explain stuff like this to my younger brother who is over 15 years my junior he thinks I'm making it up... Have we really lost so much so quickly? Is it inevitable? What will the world be like in another 30 years time? Maybe by then people will be nostalgically reminiscing about when people used the internet and ate in Mcdonalds....?
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Caron wrote: 3) Folk wearing built up shoes due to Polio.     An elderly neighbour used to wear one of those very raised shoes and so did a few other people when I was a child. My recollection is that it always seemed to be just one shoe but I may be wrong as that seems unlikely. I probably never gave it any thought so finding that they were worn due to polio is news to me. Thanks for that information Caron.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.