THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
tilly

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by tilly »

Hi volvojack we played the same game we used to balance the wood on the causer edge before we hit it.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Stars!
With severe light pollution only the very brightest stars can usually readily be seen in urban areas in clear dark nights now. I seem to recall that huge numbers of stars could often be seen when I was young (at least when there was no industrial smog around!).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Leodian wrote:Stars!
With severe light pollution only the very brightest stars can usually readily be seen in urban areas in clear dark nights now. I seem to recall that huge numbers of stars could often be seen when I was young (at least when there was no industrial smog around!).
Well, certainly a lot more than we can now. I can just about make out the milky way, but very rarely in our back garden, on a very clear mist free night. The slightest mist and it reflects the street lighting. The first time I really saw it very clearly I was absolutely amazed at just how beautiful the night sky was, that was in my late teens, hitch-hiking alone through the wilds of Dartmoor, on route to Penzance at 2 in the morning. No lights anywhere, apart from the stars which were bright enough to follow the road on foot.

That is something else you just don't see any more, hitch-hikers.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Galoshes...
A rubber overshoe
(like a miniature Welligog) that you put on back in the days when most folks only had one pair of shoes. Very handy back in the winters when we had Snow and Slush but considered very unfashionable by young people like myself. but Mothers word was law and i would not dare to come home with my boots / shoes soaked through

tilly

Post by tilly »

I bet teenagers would wear them now if it it said Vans or Uggs on them. :lol: :lol:

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

="tilly"]I bet teenagers would wear them now if it it said Vans or Uggs on them.

So true,
Before there was such a thing as Fashionable trainers we would wear canvas rubber soled shoe (runners) which were cheap and looked it. Now they make them with a thicker sole and also in different colors /young female dancing about to pop music wearing a pair and they sell for a ridiculous price.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I know I must be ancient, as UI still believe that if a firm's name is brandished on a product as advertisment, then it should be free or at a reduced price , not at a ridiculously exorbitant price

tilly

Post by tilly »

HI chemimike its the same with carrier bags they have logos on but you still get charged for them in most cases.

tilly

Post by tilly »

HI chemimike its the same with carrier bags they have logos on but you still get charged for them in most cases.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Sorry for the double post.