THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
blackprince

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by blackprince »

Lighting up time used to be published in local papers. Nothing to do with smoking! Lighting up time was between half an hour after dusk and half an hour before dawn during which vehicles lamps had to be lit. People in general knew these times and observed the law. As a kid in Leeds in the 1950s I was certainly aware of these times and used to turn my bike lamp on at the appointed time. Hard to credit in these days when lots of cycles are unlit at night.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Also Street Lamps used to light up at the appropriate time in the evenings, They were by and large on Sreet Corners and as Kids around the late 1940s we would go around looking for the ones that had not lit on time, a few kicks on the post would usually do the trick. The ones around Beeston were quite Ornate with the Top being made of Brass and the Post Cast iron.( Would be worth a fortune these days )

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I haven't seen a happy Leeds Rhinos fan for ages :lol:

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

volvojack wrote:Also Street Lamps used to light up at the appropriate time in the evenings, They were by and large on Sreet Corners and as Kids around the late 1940s we would go around looking for the ones that had not lit on time, a few kicks on the post would usually do the trick. The ones around Beeston were quite Ornate with the Top being made of Brass and the Post Cast iron.( Would be worth a fortune these days )
Did anyone apart from gas lamp lighters use triangular ladders?. I haven't seen one for 60 years.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

I remember window cleaners using them long ago, at least for the lower floor windows.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Our window cleaner has one.
Saw it last week.

Years ago we had a man and wife pair of w/cleaners.
She did the downstairs ones using the pointy ladder
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

The Window Cleaners that used to do the Town Shops used those pointed Ladders, as they were lighter in weight and therefore easier to carry around.
Can't bring to mind the Firm that employed these lads in the 1950/60s (Might have been Frank Balmforth and Co.) but the cleaners were a rough bunch and if any interlopers turned up and were cleaning a Shop window it was not unusual for them to "Accidentally" be knocked off as they were up the Ladder.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Chairs in stores for customers to rest on. Back in the day, many stores would have a seat by the counter for their customers to rest on. Our local co-op use to have one or two by their counter for customers to wait whilst the order was fulfilled.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Our Co-op on Barkly Road Beeston did not have any chairs Harry but if they had you would not have dared sit down as there was a constant queue on a Saturday morning. You moved down the line looking at the list your Mother had given you until you got to the dreaded 'taty area where it was dusty and a long wait until the spuds were weighed out. then on until things like Sugar and Cigarettes etc where The Manager was always in charge of this section. Finally out next door there was the Coop Butchers shop. My Mother always got her Meat Ration down at a Butchers by Kirkgate Market.
The Co-op Org. should have seen the advent of Supermarket style shopping, it had all the Suppliers, all the Retail sites and a large chunk of Shoppers in most areas.
Hated spending my Saturday Mornings in There.
Yours sincerely 141117 (Divi)

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Don't know if this has been posted before but when we were kids we used to get a piece of wood about 6 inches long, whittle away each end, place it on the ground then take a piece of wood a couple of foot long and hit the smaller piece causing it to spin and jump in the air. We called it "Piggy Stick"
Not described it very well but we certainly used to enjoy it