THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Welcome to Part Two of the "THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE" thread. You can read Part One here:Part 1, page 1 - http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... sage=0Part 1, page 113 - http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ssage=2800    
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Blow Football

tilly

Post by tilly »

I dont know if this has been said pop guns the ones with a bit of string fastened to a cork that fitted into to end of the gun.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

shutthatdoor

Post by shutthatdoor »

You don't see kids building "Bogeys" any more.If we found an old pram that was it, game on. All our engineering skills were learnt from building bogeys. Sometimes we couldn't wait to find a pram, I seem to remember using my sisters dolls pram once. If you've hacksawed the wheels off before she found out you cant go back. We would raid our dads toolboxes for claw hammers, pliers, big nuts, bolts & washers and six inch nails were another requirement to bend around the axles when attaching to the timbers. My dad always seemed to have six inch nails we could pilfer.It was an education by trial, error and injury (hammered thumbs, splinters,crashes). It was great problem solving, engineering, inventiveness and teamwork. You don't get that with an Xbox.
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

You don't often see awnings like these outside shops any more http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

one thing fast dying out is Fish and Chip shops.Town centres are virtually deserts for them having been driven out by other takeaways and even in the suburbs they are closing fast.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

blackprince wrote: You don't often see awnings like these outside shops any more Also, those transparent yellow/orange blinds they used to pull over the inside of shop windows on sunny days, to prevent the stock in the window display being faded by the sun.
The older I get, the better I was.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Rubber tap swirls for directing tap water where you want it in the sink.Virtually every house used to have them. A quick Google suggests they are still available, but I couldn't tell you last time I saw one.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Raveydavey's post reminded me of the rubber hose thingy that had two tubes that joined into one. One end of the two was put over the hot tap and the other over the cold then the temperature of the single outflow could be more or less controlled. Used when washing pots etc. They may still be used but I've not seen one for a long time as mixer taps may have ended them.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Gypsy door-to-door peg sellers.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?