THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Grasshoppers. It is very many years since I last saw a grasshopper, which were commonly seen when I was a kid growing up in ye olden days of yore in Leeds. I did a search of SL and did not find any mention of a lack of grasshoppers but I apologise if it has been mentioned previously and I did not find it.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I cant remember the last time I saw a stickle back we used to catch them in ponds all over the place when we were kids.The male had a bright red breast all the ponds we fished in with our nets have been built on now .I could be wrong they may still be about if they are the numbers will be well down now.Just had a thought I cant remember the last time. i saw a skylark or heard one i remember seeing them going higher and higher singing all the time I know they were ground nesting and all the places I used to see them are long gone.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: Grasshoppers. It is very many years since I last saw a grasshopper, which were commonly seen when I was a kid growing up in ye olden days of yore in Leeds. Here in the far east (of Leeds) you certainly can still hear them during the summer months - seeing them is a different matter though!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: Leodian wrote: Grasshoppers. It is very many years since I last saw a grasshopper, which were commonly seen when I was a kid growing up in ye olden days of yore in Leeds. Here in the far east (of Leeds) you certainly can still hear them during the summer months - seeing them is a different matter though! That's interesting raveydavey as I grew up in east Leeds and that is the last area I recall seeing grasshoppers, so they may not have come with me when I moved to north Leeds long back and they stayed in east Leeds instead! I like grasshoppers.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Johnny39 wrote: Gypsy door-to-door peg sellers. Do you wanna buy some pegs daaaave    
Attachments
__TFMF_b2wfcj45tftkp255g4yntt55_95e284fe-36d4-4603-a639-8bf15e2289f4_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_b2wfcj45tftkp255g4yntt55_95e284fe-36d4-4603-a639-8bf15e2289f4_0_main.jpg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Bruno wrote: blackprince wrote: Also, those transparent yellow/orange blinds they used to pull over the inside of shop windows on sunny days, to prevent the stock in the window display being faded by the sun. Here's a good one (not Leeds) http://goo.gl/maps/8V8PbWeather allus looks lovely from in there.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Jogon wrote: Bruno wrote: blackprince wrote: Also, those transparent yellow/orange blinds they used to pull over the inside of shop windows on sunny days, to prevent the stock in the window display being faded by the sun. Here's a good one (not Leeds) http://goo.gl/maps/8V8PbWeather allus looks lovely from in there. Still have them in north wales.

The Birds

Post by The Birds »

Johnny 39 you were lucky buying pegs - we had to buy wooden flowers - mam was so afraid of the curse!
:):(

Caron

Post by Caron »

The Birds wrote: Johnny 39 you were lucky buying pegs - we had to buy wooden flowers - mam was so afraid of the curse! My mother also bought from them afraid of a curse if she didn't. I've still got a tiny brass pixie she bought from them 48yrs ago