THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
tilly

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by tilly »

I agree things must move on Leodion but people have changed and not always for the better.For instance you would never have found an old person dead in there house days or months after they had passed away.If the curtains were not opened at a certain time someone would be knocking on the old persons door to check if every thing was ok Never have i seen grave stones wrecked has can happen now, it was safe for people to walk day or night whatever the time.I am not saying every one is like this but it is not the world i was brought up in.I could write page after page of things that happen now that would never have happened in my day people might think im a moaning old git so be it.Here endeth the first lesson.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hey Up tilly,
When as a kd we lived on the Gipton Etate my brother and i would walk up through Harehils Cemetary as a short cut to the Hillcrest Cinema. afterwards we would walk back through with the house and street lights shining off of the gravestones. a bit scary.
Nowadays i would not take that walk with an Armed Guard.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi volvojack You are right some of the younger end will say we are always moaning but they have not lived back in the day.A lot of things are much better but and that is a big but a lot are far worse.I put it down to money people who say they cant make ends meet have never known what it is like to have just about enough to subside on.You see it on tv people living in a hovel with a fag stuck in there mouth a fifty two inch tv kids playing on the playstation with a xbox on one side saying if it was not for the food bank we would starve whats that all about.?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Hi volvojack You are right some of the younger end will say we are always moaning but they have not lived back in the day.A lot of things are much better but and that is a big but a lot are far worse.I put it down to money people who say they cant make ends meet have never known what it is like to have just about enough to subside on.You see it on tv people living in a hovel with a fag stuck in there mouth a fifty two inch tv kids playing on the playstation with a xbox on one side saying if it was not for the food bank we would starve whats that all about.

tilly, That made me smile but Oh so true.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

It's called BENEFITS CULTURE for the non working class
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Bugblatter

Post by Bugblatter »

On the subject of white dog poo:
http://www.caninest.com/white-dog-poop/
Leeds born and bred

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

buffaloskinner wrote:In 1968 mine was a Ford Pop 100E, and I'm sure only had three gears! and very slow wipers at speed (60mph).
The wipers of many Ford cars at that era were vacuum driven from the engine intake manifold. The harder you pressed the loud pedal, the faster it went, but vacuum would fall dramatically - hence slow or no wiper action.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Where have all the little repair / alteration shops gone.?
My Missus and Daughter came home from their weekly Pilgimage to our local Shpping Centre and the wife said she had got me some cord trousers from M. and S.in their sale. after i recovered from the shock i found they were indeed really lovely blue cords. They were reduced from £32 to £9 but the only problem was they had turnups. I live in Gloucestershire and there is one other person in the County who wears trousers with turnups and that is Prince Charles.
Calling in to a Dry Cleaners that advertising Alterations they quoted me £13 to alter them. So i am now wearing them as they are and just hope Charley and I don't meet.
Not so long ago there was a little corner shop just opposite Compton Road Library on that road leading dow to the Gipton Estate andif you took any garment in there to have an alteration done it was one or two days at the most.

Going back even further years ago with Burtons Factory near by there was always someone who could do you a tailoring job, same in Beeston at the John collier factory

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

volvojack wrote: I live in Gloucestershire and there is one other person in the County who wears trousers with turnups and that is Prince Charles.
Nothing at all wrong with dressing in a slightly unique way. I have a pair of cords with turnups, they didn't come with turnups, but it was before I became involved with my present lady and they were a touch too long - simple answer, turnups. :D

jma

Post by jma »

I think alteration shops are things you can't afford anymore rather than things you don't see. I don't go into Leeds shopping very often now but in the fairly recent past I've seen frozen-looking young people standing in Briggate holding a pole topped with a finger-sign pointing up Thornton's Arcade to a garment alteration service. Locally, we have Valted Tailors in Morley offering the service.

While I've been typing this, I've remembered that there's a while-you-wait alteration service at the Macarthur Glen outlet near York - just the sort of place where you might end up with a bargain outfit that doesn't quite fit. They are called Quickstitch. Not much use to anybody in other parts of the country but they - or somebody using the same name - has an online service:-

http://www.quickstitch.co.uk/

I see that trouser shortening is a tenner, which may not be considered a bargain.