THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
volvojack

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by volvojack »

Harry,
I have to be careful down Yere with Turnups it be Turnip / Wurzel Country. They be a little bit Benny Hill style. Oh Ah......
Last edited by volvojack on Wed 26 Apr, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

That is probably the answer jma. The Service is there but it is the cost.
About five years ago on a trip to Leeds i took a pair of shoes for repair into a Cobblers on Harehills Lane and said i would collect them the following week. He quoted me approx £12 to £15 so i left them with him. When i went back he asked for £22. even though they were my favourite shoes they had only cost £27. new. I told him he could keep them and left the shop. He came after me and said he would accept the £15, I got them back but this sort of thing makes me not want to use the smaller trader.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

There are quite a lot of alterations shops in Leeds now. At least two in the market, one on Central Road, Headrow, St Paul's Street (who is excellent and very professional), Wellington Street and I'm sure that Brightbart's on New Briggate do them.
Probably not the cheapest for some people but when needs must....

jma

Post by jma »

It's easy to forget that the price of everything has risen and the people doing this type of work have to live at today's prices. In the days when you could buy a pair of shoes for 19/11d, the take-home wage was probably around a fiver. Also, most clothing and footwear in the shops these days is imported, having been made by people on low wages. Professional alterations and repairs are done by people living here.

The world generally seems different looking back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AcJSkUw6M

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jma wrote:It's easy to forget that the price of everything has risen and the people doing this type of work have to live at today's prices. In the days when you could buy a pair of shoes for 19/11d, the take-home wage was probably around a fiver. Also, most clothing and footwear in the shops these days is imported, having been made by people on low wages. Professional alterations and repairs are done by people living here.

The world generally seems different looking back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AcJSkUw6M
Thanks jma for that link to the hilarious just over 3 minutes video. :)

The "Ee, mi father went crackers. He reached out and gently pulled mi mam towards 'im by t'throat. "You big fat, idle ugly wart", he said. "You gret useless spawny-eyed parrot-faced wazzock." ('E had a way wi words, mi father. He'd bin to college, y'know)" particularly had me :lol: loads (I copied that from the video text that was brought up when clicking on the 'show more' link with the video).

Talking of alteration shops I feel sure there was one at the Vicar Lane/Eastgate corner above (or very close by) where the Hip Store is located but the alteration shop did not seem to be there when I passed today (April 27 2017). It must have closed fairly recently.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Leodian / jma.
What a coincidence , Only today i was watching Tony Capsticks "Coming Home" video of that on Youtube. There is also his spoof on the Hovis Advert, they both show some sad pictures of days gone by, Also dropped on some absolute beautys...... "Hitler visits Yorkshre, Hitler told he has to live in Newcastle, Hitler wants Rolf Harris for a Do and Hitler sings Tie Me Kangeroo Down" There are lots more on there . Very Funny BUT do be prepared for the Fuhrers bad Language

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

dogduke wrote:The old £5 note seems to have disappeared pretty fast.
The new one was launched 13/9 and Leeds was one of the six areas selected by the bank
for concentrated release.
Haven't seen one for a couple of months.
Just 7 days left to spend all your old fivers.

The cease to be legal tender after
Friday 5.5 17
Was the 5th day of the 5th month a deliberate choice?
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi dogduke People think that if they are left with any old fivers they will not be worth anything This is not the case its my understanding the notes say that the bank of england promise to pay the bearer five pounds so by law your old fiver will always be worth five pounds Its not the same with coins these do not have a promise to pay statement on them so when they are withdrawn they become worthless.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jma

Post by jma »

It's still best to get rid of bank notes while they are still current. For a while, banks and building societies may accept them, especially from their own customers, but eventually, return to the Bank of England is the only way to get the money. The bearer has to make their demand at the Bank, so to speak. Also, they have to go back to the Bank in London. The Bank of England in Leeds only (and exclusively) deals with defaced and damaged notes. I only know this because a few years ago, when I was still looking after everything for my late mother when she was still living in her own flat, some old banknotes turned up where she had stashed them away. Hardly treasure trove, something like 3 x £20 IIRC. Bearing in mind they are being posted to an address which makes the contents obvious so they advise special delivery which at that time was something like six quid. There's also the usual precautions to combat money laundering for larger sums. The procedure is in this link, in case anybody needs to do it but my advice is to sort it out before they go out of date and avoid a lot of hassle.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknote ... cpost.aspx

polos

Post by polos »

Bus drivers winding a handle to change the display destination. Oh and the old ker-ching tickets.