Trinity - victim of Leeds' own success?

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
ARGIE

Post by ARGIE »

Sorry if these stradles a couple of topics already covered in this section, but I wanted to start a new discussion regarding Trinity Leeds.Let me say from the start that I wish Trinity EVERY success. I think it's great for Leeds. But....I look at some of the "prestige" names that are in there, dare I say "destination" shops, like Apple Store and Lego and the food halls and I really do worry for the future of White Rose and, even more so, The Core. On the subject of The Core, the failure of HMV really could harm this development. Can anyone think of a way forward for it? Merrion Centre could benefit from Leeds Arena if done right. The Core? It looks doomed to me. Especially with the success of Trinity.I really do worry that Leeds hasn't looked at the bigger picture, i.e are we putting too many eggs in the Trinity basket? I think it will be a better White Rose, hence fewer going there, and will stop potential retailers plumping for The Core. Victim of our own success?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

HMV Leeds is still trading and getting new stock in as I saw when in there today.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The Core remains near empty inside, and has been like this since the last refurb / rebranding. The future has been looking bleak since then, but I guess the occupied, external facing units are covering costs last the moment?I understand your point about Trinity, but the massive advantage that the White Rose has is masses of FREE car parking. Leeds council seem determined to kill off the city centre through their hatred of cars and insistence on expanding parking charges.My real concern now is the Eastgate / John Lewis development. Still no sign of any work starting and the number of empty retail units elsewhere in the city center makes me wonder if it ever will get off the ground. If it does, I can only see it emptying huge swathes of what is left, leaving an empty void betwixt there and Trinity.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Steve Jones wrote: HMV Leeds is still trading and getting new stock in as I saw when in there today. Hi Steve. I was also in the HMV store today! I often pass through and have a look around and am surprised at just how 'busy' it often seems, though I don't know how many are actually buying or just looking (like me!). I doubt it will happen but I wonder if John Lewis could move into The Core and so the Eastgate/Harewood project would not happen.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

simong

Post by simong »

John Lewis are the flagship store in Eastgate and they wouldn't have move in otherwise. I think the problem with all three old malls is that they don't have space for a primary store, which is the way that malls are built these days - neither the Core or the St Johns Centre really have one or the site for one, and the one in the Merrion is Morrisons.With the number of stores on Briggate and Albion Street moving into Trinity I can see that the streets of the city centre are going to be empty in a few years time.