Can anyone tell me where these streets were?

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

I came across a few birth / death certificates yesterday and there are a couple of streets mentioned. One is Creskell Grove which presumably was around the Holbeck Moor area since there is just one Creskell left around there. The other is Chetwynd Terrace which presumably was in the Meadow Road area, as there is a Chetwynd Street mentioned on Leodis around there. Does anyone have know more exactly the locations? I worked around there for 25 years and never realised that Dad was born at one place and great grandad died at the other. Thanks.

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

Just seen a pic on Flickr of the remains of Creskell Grove....not much to identify where though.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Creskeld terrace is off elland Terrace, off Elland Road, and shown in blue below. Cannot fine Chetwynd terrace , though there is a chetwynd place and Chetwynd st , shown in red on the c 1908 map. It could be that a row of houses in either of these streets was named Chetwynd terrace, and it was not a street in itself

kango

Post by kango »

My Brother lived in Creskell st way back when, Here's a google map of where Creskell Grove was.http://goo.gl/maps/zKFTLThe Chetwynds roughly here.http://goo.gl/maps/HMH2RA wander around should help You get Your bearings.Kango.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

grumpybloke wrote: I came across a few birth / death certificates yesterday and there are a couple of streets mentioned. One is Creskell Grove which presumably was around the Holbeck Moor area since there is just one Creskell left around there. The other is Chetwynd Terrace which presumably was in the Meadow Road area, as there is a Chetwynd Street mentioned on Leodis around there. Does anyone have know more exactly the locations? I worked around there for 25 years and never realised that Dad was born at one place and great grandad died at the other. Thanks. Map of Chetwynd Terrace - Use chemimikes map to get your bearings.Chetwynd Terrace from the 1908 DirectoryChetwynd Terrace is behind Bethel Chapel - Photo from Leodis.    

liits

Post by liits »

....and slap bang in the middle of UncleMick's map is the Chetwynd Inn, a beer house, which fronted onto both streets. Closed 30th September 1935.

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

Thanks for those very quick replies. I knew someone on here would know! There seems to be a lack of online maps of old Leeds (if I get working again I'll have to lash out and buy some!). Old Maps used to be good until they stopped the zoom in function.