Duftons of Dandy Row

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Alexi 85

Post by Alexi 85 »

Hi guys, I'm doing a university project based on Dandy Row and I'm looking for some information about the building itself, but more importantly about the residents. All have found so far is the names of four people and the map indicating where the cotagges were. The names I have found so far are: Joseph Dufton, Sara Houson, Sarah Hollings and Elizabeth Haley- they all lived at Dandy Row at some point. I'd be really grateful if anybody had any imformation to share with me, thanks so much!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Where is Dandy Row? (Dandy Row sounds like an entertainer from the 50's)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cardiarms wrote: Where is Dandy Row? (Dandy Row sounds like an entertainer from the 50's) I wondered also. I've just found that Dandy Row is related to Thwaite Mills and in the Leeds City Council website section on Thwaite Mills it states:- "Nestled on an island between the River Aire and the Aire and Calder Navigation in Stourton, South Leeds, Thwaite Mills is one of the last remaining examples of a water-powered mill in Britain....Step back in time inside Thwaite House, a fine Georgian Grade II listed building. Learn how workers from the cottages at ‘Dandy Row’ lived self-sufficiently on the island".Elsewhere in that section it states "Thwaite House has always been the mill managers’ house. The workers at the mill would have lived at Dandy Row, a row of terraced cottages further down ‘the island’ which were demolished in 1968, or in nearby Stourton or Hunslet".
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Sometimes I think a walk round leeds using the godfrey maps could be fun.

liits

Post by liits »

The 1894 map shows eight distinct houses in Dandy Row. Comparing it to the 1854 map it doesn't seem to be any different yet ony a few years earlier, the 1851 census records 11 seperate households;William Jennison, a drayman, with his wife and three children.George Buckhout a [pottery?] Ware Grinder and his wife.Joseph Dufton, an Oil Miller, his wife and her two children.Henry Cooke, an Iron Puddler, his wife and four daughters.William Webster, an Iron Puddler his wife and two daughters.Benjamin Thompson, a Coal Miner, his wife and her three children.William Howard, a Farm Labourer, his wife and six children.Joseph Middleton, a [pottery?] Ware Grinder, his wife and father-in-law.William Hebdin, a Coal Miner, his wife and a lodger.William Cooke, an Iron Trades Foreman, his wife and two children.Henry Wilks, an Iron Trades Stocktaker, his wife and son.John Ncholson, an Iron Plate Layer, his wife, father and mother.    

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Alexi 85 wrote: Hi guys, I'm doing a university project based on Dandy Row and I'm looking for some information about the building itself, but more importantly about the residents. All have found so far is the names of four people and the map indicating where the cotagges were. The names I have found so far are: Joseph Dufton, Sara Houson, Sarah Hollings and Elizabeth Haley- they all lived at Dandy Row at some point. I'd be really grateful if anybody had any imformation to share with me, thanks so much! Hi,my stepmam,her husband 'n 2 lads lived on there in the 50/60'sMaiden name was LANGTON.................
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Dandy Row 1911 Census1&2 William H C Horn - Engineers Millwright    3 Albert George Radmore - Labourer Flint Mill    4 Fred Burnley - Coal Miner Hewer    5 Tom Abson - Bridge Keeper    6 Walter Taylor - Coal Miner Hewer    7 Charles Rook - Flint Grinder    8 Stephen Parker - Waggoner Flint Mill

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

1901 Census (see attachment)
Attachments
__TFMF_byp4s0qyqk11oa555ny1be45_9251118f-38f5-4d96-a6b6-c16834657d99_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_byp4s0qyqk11oa555ny1be45_9251118f-38f5-4d96-a6b6-c16834657d99_0_main.jpg (153.7 KiB) Viewed 5164 times

Alexi 85

Post by Alexi 85 »

Thank you all for the info, it helped me a lot!

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Alexi 85 wrote: Thank you all for the info, it helped me a lot! If u need any more,I'm seeing my stepmam on monday and I know she has a lot of knowledge about the characters who lived on the row....pls advise and can let you have this info too if you like.(e-mail address or similar).
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !