Golden Fleece Inn

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I know of another White Swan in the city centre. It was on Kirkgate and is mentioned in the Kirkgate Inns thread. It was on the south side near the junction with Briggate. The only reference to it that I know of is Cussin's map of Leeds of 1725. It must have disappeared a long time ago    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

Cheers, Steve.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove »

...and you thought I'd gone away. Just to say I found a death notice for David Kirkman of the Fleece Inn in Mill Street. I thought that threw me a wobbler but I see from the 1847 map Si sent that we have the right Fleece Inn as Ebenezer St. runs into Mill St. For now I'll believe the White Swan is the one in Swan St. that is now the Varieties. I can bore the staff with stories of my family owning it in the early 1800's.On looking at Parish records / newspapers / leodis I get the impression my lot weren't exactly living the high life. I have various relo's living in these streets. Rider / Burmantofts / Templar /Beckett & Chapeltown road. They all look pretty grim in the old pics.Now I can understand better why David Kirkman (a strict Methodist who got married in the Oxford Place Chapel) decided to sail half way around the globe, to a very young Adelaide, barely 20 years in the making.

liits

Post by liits »

Mangrove wrote: I have various relo's living in these streets. Rider / Burmantofts / Templar /Beckett & Chapeltown road. They all look pretty grim in the old pics. Can I ask, what were the names of these relatives, were they all Kirkmans?

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove »

David Kirkman senior born Timble Bridge (1783) died at Bedford Place (1834). His wife Martha Buckton. They had 6 girls and one boy. The daughters married into family names: Moxon, Hord, Radcliffe, Wheatley, Harrison, Peace, Goodall and Wormald. I haven't got around to researching that lot... yet. (Before that all documents quote Timble Bridge & The Calls going back to a David K marrying Hannah Sykes 1761)Their son Thomas was born at Quarry Hill 1807. His wife Martha Marsden. They had 3 girls & 2 boys. 2 girls died young and one married Jacob Bateson. Thomas' son David (who came to oz in (1858 ) was born in Templar St. and lived in Rider St. when he married Susanna Pickles in 1851. Looks like all the Pickles lived there. Father John / mother Hannah. They lived in Burmantofts when Susanna was born in 1827.Susannah died & David married Emma Burrows Hainsworth from Chapeltown Road (1856). Father William. (heh...William Burrows! sic) Emma was born in Bank 1829. My grandfather (died 1985), uncle (died 1995) and cousins have Hainsworth as a middle name. No-one knew how that came about so I've solved that mystery.As a young man it looks like David stayed with his aunty Jane and husband, William Wormald in Beckett St in the 1840's and then York Road.Smiley face not intended...don't know how that got in there or how to remove it.         

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

8 immediately followed by ) results in "smiley face" put a space between the 8 and )
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Si

Post by Si »

tyke bhoy wrote: 8 immediately followed by ) results in "smiley face" put a space between the 8 and ) Sorted.

aohm

Post by aohm »

Hi Mangrove, I came across this post today whilst researching around the Port Adelaide David Kirkman his wife Emma and their children, not sure if you will be notified of my message, hope so. The short of it is we are related, David & Martha Kirkman are my ancestors too, I was born in Leeds and came out to Oz in '79. I have a copy of a letter (the Oz) David wrote from Port Adelaide to his brother Thomas back in the UK in 1864 in regard to Tom's insolvency, my family in the UK have the original as well as other family stuff including a picture of David, as in David and Martha.Cheers aohm Mangrove wrote: HelloForgive me not taking time to explore & understand the forum thing as I should but I think from the brief look I've had, someone may be able to send me in the right direction. I am putting together a family history presentation for my father (87) and have found out from British Newspapaer Archives and ancestry.com that my great (4 times) grand father lived in or owned the Golden Fleece in Kirkgate in the late 1700's. David Kirkman. His grandson emigrated to South Australia in 1858 making me a 5th generation Aussie. I am back in the UK in May and this has fired up my thirst for more knowledge on the family in Timble Bridge, Parish of St Peter's.Can anyone enlighten me so I can pass on a few anecdotes at my father's testimonial?Thanks in advance.Mangrove

Sueshe

Post by Sueshe »

Hello MangroveI've just seen your thread about the Kirkmans in Leeds and think we share a common ancestor.David and Martha Kirkman's eldest daughter, Mary, born 1805, married Henry Hord at St Peter's, Leeds on 12/05/1825. He was a plumber and glazier, shown in 1841 as living in York St but trading from George St (1829 Baines Trade Directory). They had 8 known children, 5 boys and 3 girls, the youngest being my great grandmother, Sarah Jane Hord. The second son was baptised David Kirkman Hord.By 1851 Henry had died and Mary was running the business with 2 of her sons at 4 Wharf St and living in St Peter's Square (now the site of the BBC). In 1861 Mary was living at 46 Templar St with 2 of her sons. A death for a Mary Hord was recorded in Leeds in 1865.All these addresses are quite close to each other and some of the street names remain. Incidentally, my great grandfather gave his address as Templar St on his marriage cert in 1865 when he married Sarah Jane. I can tell you more about the Kirkman descendants but don't want to bore or swamp you with information!Sueshe

Sueshe

Post by Sueshe »

Hello MangroveI've just seen your thread about the Kirkmans in Leeds and think we share a common ancestor.David and Martha Kirkman's eldest daughter, Mary, born 1805, married Henry Hord at St Peter's, Leeds on 12/05/1825. He was a plumber and glazier, shown in 1841 as living in York St but trading from George St (1829 Baines Trade Directory). They had 8 known children, 5 boys and 3 girls, the youngest being my great grandmother, Sarah Jane Hord. The second son was baptised David Kirkman Hord.By 1851 Henry had died and Mary was running the business with 2 of her sons at 4 Wharf St and living in St Peter's Square (now the site of the BBC). In 1861 Mary was living at 46 Templar St with 2 of her sons. A death for a Mary Hord was recorded in Leeds in 1865.All these addresses are quite close to each other and some of the street names remain. Incidentally, my great grandfather gave his address as Templar St on his marriage cert in 1865 when he married Sarah Jane. I can tell you more about the Kirkman descendants but don't want to bore or swamp you with information!Sueshe