Timber yard in Armley Road

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

chameleon wrote: Hi Arry - mastered the new laptopamabob then! Good to see you back Yes Chammy! I got a new Acer with windies7, 750GB HDD and 6GB memory. Talk about fast! (like grit off a shovel!)Only drawback is a 15.6" screen so I have to sit closer!My last one was a 17" but it gave up on me and I couldn't afford a new 17" (Pauper!). now it's 'Appy' Arry for a while!cheers!Arry

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: Hiya Stutterdog. I think we did a rundown of our (different) times at Marstons (ICI). We rememberedIrvin Todhunter among others and discussed the blitzed housesand the 'Hollow' in the Gloucesters. Must be a couple of years backon here at least! Can't remember the thread title, though!I think I also recalled that being on maintenance,we had toinstall lighting and electrical gear in those old houses/ turned workshops for Marstons. We also repaired a lot of stuff anddid highly technical stuff like changing lightbulbs lol!I vaguley remember Hardwicks as a junkyard in those days(40's) Was it on Arkwright or Brunel st?Armley Lass 47! Thanks for your kind comments! I,tooremember CYCLING (from Burley Rd./ viaduct Rd) up Pickering St to get to work at Marstons in '44/45! Also remember a grand Fish-'oil'just up the road opposite Marston's ! Happy days! (I think!)cheers 'Arry Hello 'arryI drove past Marston's (Denso) today on my way to Leeds and noticed it has been completely closed down and it's now up for sale. End of an era there then! I presume they've moved production to their site at Baildon.I too have some very happy memories of my time at Marstons. Hi Stutterdog.Yes Marston's/Denso building has been closed for ages.One of my neighbours works for them and was transferredto Baildon. It'll cost him travelling there from Bramleyevery day! Still. it's a job! Got to hang on to it these days!Thank goodness I've been retired 15 yrs!cheers!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

ArmleyLass47 wrote: Already commented but two more comments if I may.Marston Radiators was where my lovely Uncle Jim Midgleyworked. Think it was from the late 50's to the 70's. I have photos of him with his 25 years Clock theybought him and also when he retired after 35 years theycollected for him. Unfortunately, he died in 1988 buthe was a great Uncle and always had a word for everyoneand his laugh still rings in my ears.Secondly, someone has mentioned the bombed housesin the Winchesters I remember seeing them when I wasat Castleton School. I always remember the story wasthat a young girl about 8 had died there when it was bombedbut she didnt come from Leeds.Since that time I now do my ancestry and have found hundredsof them living in and around Leeds. I seem to be more Yorkshirethan Yorkshire. I then found out that the poor girl who diedin the Winchesters had come from the bombing in Hull toget away from it to relatives and of course the bomb wasmeant for the arminition factory whose name has gone fromme not living in Leeds for years. Seemingly, she was alsoa distant cousin of mine from my research so it was interestingas well as distressing to find that little nugget out. I wonderedwhy I was always thinking about her when I went to Castleton. Hello There Armleylass,                                        I knew Jim Midgley quite well. He was a great character and he liked his 'osses too. Always in the bookies opposite Marstons. My family lived just opposite the bomb site in Gloucester Ave/Rd.My Mum told me the story of the night the bomb dropped on the house and the family was killed..
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: Hiya Stutterdog. I think we did a rundown of our (different) times at Marstons (ICI). We rememberedIrvin Todhunter among others and discussed the blitzed housesand the 'Hollow' in the Gloucesters. Must be a couple of years backon here at least! Can't remember the thread title, though!I think I also recalled that being on maintenance,we had toinstall lighting and electrical gear in those old houses/ turned workshops for Marstons. We also repaired a lot of stuff anddid highly technical stuff like changing lightbulbs lol!I vaguley remember Hardwicks as a junkyard in those days(40's) Was it on Arkwright or Brunel st?Armley Lass 47! Thanks for your kind comments! I,tooremember CYCLING (from Burley Rd./ viaduct Rd) up Pickering St to get to work at Marstons in '44/45! Also remember a grand Fish-'oil'just up the road opposite Marston's ! Happy days! (I think!)cheers 'Arry Hello 'arryI drove past Marston's (Denso) today on my way to Leeds and noticed it has been completely closed down and it's now up for sale. End of an era there then! I presume they've moved production to their site at Baildon.I too have some very happy memories of my time at Marstons. Hi Stutterdog.Yes Marston's/Denso building has been closed for ages.One of my neighbours works for them and was transferredto Baildon. It'll cost him travelling there from Bramleyevery day! Still. it's a job! Got to hang on to it these days!Thank goodness I've been retired 15 yrs!cheers! Me too 'arry,dont know how people cope with the uncertanty these days!
ex-Armley lad

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: chameleon wrote: Hi Arry - mastered the new laptopamabob then! Good to see you back Yes Chammy! I got a new Acer with windies7, 750GB HDD and 6GB memory. Talk about fast! (like grit off a shovel!)Only drawback is a 15.6" screen so I have to sit closer!My last one was a 17" but it gave up on me and I couldn't afford a new 17" (Pauper!). now it's 'Appy' Arry for a while!cheers!Arry That's a powerful machine you've got 'Arry.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Si

Post by Si »

Hi 'Arry! Good to hear you're well!

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Leodian wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: chameleon wrote: Hi Arry - mastered the new laptopamabob then! Good to see you back Yes Chammy! I got a new Acer with windies7, 750GB HDD and 6GB memory. Talk about fast! (like grit off a shovel!)Only drawback is a 15.6" screen so I have to sit closer!My last one was a 17" but it gave up on me and I couldn't afford a new 17" (Pauper!). now it's 'Appy' Arry for a while!cheers!Arry That's a powerful machine you've got 'Arry. Yes Leo.It quite frightens me sometimes,just how quick it responds.My old 17" gave me time to make a brew before itresponded! lol. I think windows 7 has a lot to do with it too.I never had XP, (which my son swears by) Started off withMillennium in 1999 on a desktop,then on to Vista in 2008 tillthe lappy turned it's toes up! It will obviously slow up a bitas time goes by.(Hope not!)

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Si wrote: Hi 'Arry! Good to hear you're well! Hi Si.yes, not so dusty thanks. Bits falling off everywhere butbetter than most old codgers of my era, I guess!Cheers,Arry

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Hi StutterdogGreat that you remember my lovely Uncle Jim Midgley. Yes he did like his betting. Just to give you a laugh. The day before he died he had done his pools as usual and had someone who came to the house to pick them up. He did that on a Wednesday night for the Saturday. He died during the Wednesday to Thursday and on the Saturday his pools coupon won £5. It wasnt alot I know but it made me laugh and with his sense of humour I could imagine him laughing in heaven as he thought about his little win on the pools which was his last bet on Earth. It runs in that side of the family and my Grandad his Dad Lewis Midgley was also a gambler. Also another of the Midgleys, think it was Charles, even had betting shops down Kirkstall Road. It passed on the generations and I am proud to say that I am the gambler keeping that vocation up. Laugh.    Dont really do the 'osses like Jim but go to the bingo and win loads even on line nowadays. Glad we eventually worked out the title of this post Timber yard in Armley Road lolregards all p.s. Would love to put a photo on of my Uncle and his presents when he retired but I dont know how you down load a photo on here??
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

ArmleyLass47 wrote: Hi StutterdogGreat that you remember my lovely Uncle Jim Midgley. Yes he did like his betting. Just to give you a laugh. The day before he died he had done his pools as usual and had someone who came to the house to pick them up. He did that on a Wednesday night for the Saturday. He died during the Wednesday to Thursday and on the Saturday his pools coupon won £5. It wasnt alot I know but it made me laugh and with his sense of humour I could imagine him laughing in heaven as he thought about his little win on the pools which was his last bet on Earth. It runs in that side of the family and my Grandad his Dad Lewis Midgley was also a gambler. Also another of the Midgleys, think it was Charles, even had betting shops down Kirkstall Road. It passed on the generations and I am proud to say that I am the gambler keeping that vocation up. Laugh.    Dont really do the 'osses like Jim but go to the bingo and win loads even on line nowadays. Glad we eventually worked out the title of this post Timber yard in Armley Road lolregards all p.s. Would love to put a photo on of my Uncle and his presents when he retired but I dont know how you down load a photo on here?? Well Armleylass, nice to here that story,sounds typical of old Jim.I'm not very proficient at putting photos up on here but I take a picture of the photo and then folloow the instructions for doing it.Press attachments and some how it works. Not very helpfull I know!
ex-Armley lad