Timber yard in Armley Road

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
weenie

Post by weenie »

Hi all, a friend of mine down south is asking if i knew of a wood yard on Armley Road , around 1964 give or take a few years, her grandfathers name was Harold Howarth and was in partnership with someone, but they know little else, and no they are not the Howarth Timber company, these were from Lancashire wheras her Howarths are from Liversedge. Just wondered if anyone remembers a Wood yard down that area, and what it was called, they also mentioned that he was involved in an accident and probably lost his license. much help is appriciated Weenie

jim

Post by jim »

Is this a reference to Howarth Timber? The date would be right, but the building previously a cinema (can't remember what it had been called, but someone on here will know) at the Bramley roundabout. The roundabout is on the Stanningley Road/Henconner Lane junction. As Stanningley Road is effectively a continuation of Armley Road, this could be the place you are looking for.The building has since been demolished, and Greggs site and buildings have succeeded it.The only other place I can think of is the small yard opposite Gloucester Terrace by the prison - which at least wasn't Howarth Timber!    

weenie

Post by weenie »

Thanks Jim, No there is no link to the Haworth Timber at Bramley or the firm. the yard could be that on Glocester Terrace, is a likey does anyone remember what it was called ? Weenie

book

Post by book »

Weenie try Graham Thirkill on www.thirkersleeds.co.ukhis About Me section on his site about Leeds and Leeds United suggests he might know a bit about Armley at that time. Contact him by email, he is a great old guy, I was talking to him last week via email about Leeds United. I got his details from SL originally    
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

weenie

Post by weenie »

Thankyou Book, what a great site and email has been sent many thanks peeps Weenie

jim

Post by jim »

Sorry weenie, I haven't made myself clear. The small yard I was talking about was on the north side of Armley Road, opposite the end of Gloucester Terrace, and close to the existing garage.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

jim wrote: The date would be right, but the building previously a cinema (can't remember what it had been called, but someone on here will know) at the Bramley roundabout. I know that's not the yard that weenie means, but just for the record it was the Clifton Cinema.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

jim

Post by jim »

Ta Blakey for "banking assistance" to the old forgettory.Jim.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

jim

Post by jim »

Right spot Chrism, I seem to remember a yard at the back and to the side of this site that was a separate business.