Duxbury's of Beeston/Holbeck

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
duxglvr

Post by duxglvr »

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help? (love the site by the way) I have hit the proverbial wall again.. I am tracing my family tree.My Grandparents were Thomas Duxbury & Muriel (nee Roberts) of Parkwood Rd, Beeston. I have recently discovered further generations of gg grandparents Robert Hadlock Duxbury & Catherine (nee Morris Roe), ggg grandparents Charles Henry Duxbury & Elizabeth (nee Hadlock) ggg grandparents Thomas & Ann (nee Earnshaw) and my gggg grandfather William Duxbury.My grandfather was Chief Cashier at the Yorkshire Post, the rest of the menfolk were all miners, but in the 1911 census Charles is living with his daughter and son in law (Percy Reid) and is classed as a 'Refreshment House Keeper'The refreshment house was in Beeston, believed to be near where the library is situated now. Does anybody remember/know of this?Thanks for taking time to read this, fingers crossedRegards Damian

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

duxglvr wrote: Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help? (love the site by the way) I have hit the proverbial wall again.. I am tracing my family tree.My Grandparents were Thomas Duxbury & Muriel (nee Roberts) of Parkwood Rd, Beeston. I have recently discovered further generations of gg grandparents Robert Hadlock Duxbury & Catherine (nee Morris Roe), ggg grandparents Charles Henry Duxbury & Elizabeth (nee Hadlock) ggg grandparents Thomas & Ann (nee Earnshaw) and my gggg grandfather William Duxbury.My grandfather was Chief Cashier at the Yorkshire Post, the rest of the menfolk were all miners, but in the 1911 census Charles is living with his daughter and son in law (Percy Reid) and is classed as a 'Refreshment House Keeper'The refreshment house was in Beeston, believed to be near where the library is situated now. Does anybody remember/know of this?Thanks for taking time to read this, fingers crossedRegards Damian Devils advocate but could refreshment house be public house? The White Hart is a stones throw from the library and although Beeston used to be more "posh" I can't see a tea shop being there even in the Edwardian era.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

duxglvr

Post by duxglvr »

tyke bhoy wrote: duxglvr wrote: Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help? (love the site by the way) I have hit the proverbial wall again.. I am tracing my family tree.My Grandparents were Thomas Duxbury & Muriel (nee Roberts) of Parkwood Rd, Beeston. I have recently discovered further generations of gg grandparents Robert Hadlock Duxbury & Catherine (nee Morris Roe), ggg grandparents Charles Henry Duxbury & Elizabeth (nee Hadlock) ggg grandparents Thomas & Ann (nee Earnshaw) and my gggg grandfather William Duxbury.My grandfather was Chief Cashier at the Yorkshire Post, the rest of the menfolk were all miners, but in the 1911 census Charles is living with his daughter and son in law (Percy Reid) and is classed as a 'Refreshment House Keeper'The refreshment house was in Beeston, believed to be near where the library is situated now. Does anybody remember/know of this?Thanks for taking time to read this, fingers crossedRegards Damian Devils advocate but could refreshment house be public house? The White Hart is a stones throw from the library and although Beeston used to be more "posh" I can't see a tea shop being there even in the Edwardian era. Thanks very much for that and it was my guess too but I have just checked with my mother and family lore states it was a cafe near Wesley Road or Street (wherever that is) but by coincidence in the 1891 census they are residing at the Temperance Hotel. Thanks again

liits

Post by liits »

Refreshment house, dining rooms, cafe, coffee house etc, etc.Looking at the Census information, they lived next door but one to the Old White Hart. So, if you were to stand and look at the front of the pub [looking from left to right] was [on the right hand end of a parade of other businesses] the Refresht Rooms, then White Hart Yard, then adjoining the later to be rebuilt White Hart, a Tripe Dealers, then the pub itself. The premises housing the Tripe Dealers and the Refreshmn rooms went through a few changes of use. By 1914 your family's refreshment rooms was a grocers shop.Attached is a map / photo.Blue = the Refreshment RoomsRed = the Tripe DealersGreen = the Old White Hart pubclick on the red x to see the photo because they don't load properly.
Attachments
__TFMF_kwztbouo1hhgrnubdjt5rm55_4f177c3b-fcc9-4846-bb50-98de9c00044b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_kwztbouo1hhgrnubdjt5rm55_4f177c3b-fcc9-4846-bb50-98de9c00044b_0_main.jpg (178.05 KiB) Viewed 4000 times

liits

Post by liits »

.....and the closest picture on Leodis is this one.It shows the re-modelled White Hart [minus the Tripe Shop]. Just out of shot to the left, although you can see the boundary wall, would be the refreshment rooms - which by the time this photo was taken, were long gone.
Attachments
__TFMF_kwztbouo1hhgrnubdjt5rm55_c26bff61-7bcd-49ec-aa36-1aa7b42b34f7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_kwztbouo1hhgrnubdjt5rm55_c26bff61-7bcd-49ec-aa36-1aa7b42b34f7_0_main.jpg (46.67 KiB) Viewed 4000 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

liits wrote: Refreshment house, dining rooms, cafe, coffee house etc, etc.Looking at the Census information, they lived next door but one to the Old White Hart. So, if you were to stand and look at the front of the pub [looking from left to right] was [on the right hand end of a parade of other businesses] the Refresht Rooms, then White Hart Yard, then adjoining the later to be rebuilt White Hart, a Tripe Dealers, then the pub itself. The premises housing the Tripe Dealers and the Refreshmn rooms went through a few changes of use. By 1914 your family's refreshment rooms was a grocers shop.Attached is a map / photo.Blue = the Refreshment RoomsRed = the Tripe DealersGreen = the Old White Hart pubclick on the red x to see the photo because they don't load properly. Overlaying old maps (and even adding colouring) on modern Google images is very impressive. Do I need to install special programs to do the overlaying and subsequent saving of images? Or am I just very useless at not being able to work out how to do it (likley that I suspect! ).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

duxglvr

Post by duxglvr »

liits wrote: .....and the closest picture on Leodis is this one.It shows the re-modelled White Hart [minus the Tripe Shop]. Just out of shot to the left, although you can see the boundary wall, would be the refreshment rooms - which by the time this photo was taken, were long gone. Thanks to you both, so very much. That is amazing and so quick too. I have been trying to find that out for so longRegardsDamian

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

liits wrote: .....and the closest picture on Leodis is this one.It shows the re-modelled White Hart [minus the Tripe Shop]. Just out of shot to the left, although you can see the boundary wall, would be the refreshment rooms - which by the time this photo was taken, were long gone. Lootstastic
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

liits

Post by liits »

Lüts!    

liits

Post by liits »

Leodian wrote: Overlaying old maps (and even adding colouring) on modern Google images is very impressive. Do I need to install special programs to do the overlaying and subsequent saving of images? Or am I just very useless at not being able to work out how to do it (likley that I suspect! ). It is possible to use the Overlay image" button on Google Earth, although you do have to have a scanned or jpeg copy of the map, but I found it a bit messy so I cheat and use photoshop.Drop me an email and I'll send you the [easy] instructions.