LEEDS HOSPITALS PATIENT REPORTS IN THE "EVENING POST"

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Can anyone recall the tiny little daily report in the papers where the patients were referred to by their hospital numbers. The format was something like this :-LEEDS INFIRMARYVery ill 90 604 Serious 78 225 1802Comfortable 290 556 1003 1190All others doing well.We tend to forget these days that relatively few folks had telephones and might find the "four pennies and press button A" in a telephone box difficult to come by. How times have changed - now you can ring each ward or department on its own specific number.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Oh yes. And the sadness when previously 'very ill' number 90 disappeared from the list.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Sure I remembered this from the 'Things you don't see any more' thread -Going back many many years now, the Evening Post (and I daresay Evening News as well) used to publish a nightly report on hospital patients - the patients' hospital numbers and not their names of course. There were several categories which went something like this :-LEEDS INFIRMARYVERY ILL 227    608    1440POORLY 807 919IMPROVING 220 719ALL OTHERS COMFORTABLE.Other city hospitals in the same manner - anyone else old enough to remember this ??It wwas posted by some guy named Blakey(about page 38 or so....)

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

BLAKEY wrote: Can anyone recall the tiny little daily report in the papers wheer the patients were referred to by their hospital numbers. The format was something like this :-LEEDS INFIRMARYVery ill 90 604 Serious 78 225 1802Comfortable 290 556 1003 1190All others doing well.We tend to forget these days that relatively few folks had telephones and might find the "four pennies and press button A" in a telephone box difficult to come by. How times have changed - now you can ring each ward or department on its own specific number. Hiya Blakey.Yes,my number was on that list for abt 6 weeks in 1936 whenI caught scarlet fever and was shipped out to Seacroft!Was 'Very poorly' at one printout but progressed up the list to'Doing well all others!' They then dumped me and half a dozen other malingerers in the 'contagious room' for a gooddisinfecting bath, before being shot out into the cruel world of school and mum's cooking(sorry luv!).I was 6 at the time!I think this subject was covered a couple of years back,Blakeyand I, along with a few others, posted a few experiences of thetime spent in wards T and TUThe YEP (and News?),also published a similar list for KillingbeckIsolation hospital, One of my schoolmates was in there withDiphtheria at the same time so our mums used to comparehow we were doing in our different hospitals! It's a wonderthere was anyone left in our class at school!By the way in 1936 the cost of a phonebox call was 2d!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Can anyone recall the tiny little daily report in the papers wheer the patients were referred to by their hospital numbers. The format was something like this :-LEEDS INFIRMARYVery ill 90 604 Serious 78 225 1802Comfortable 290 556 1003 1190All others doing well.We tend to forget these days that relatively few folks had telephones and might find the "four pennies and press button A" in a telephone box difficult to come by. How times have changed - now you can ring each ward or department on its own specific number. Hiya Blakey.Yes,my number was on that list for abt 6 weeks in 1936 whenI caught scarlet fever and was shipped out to Seacroft!Was 'Very poorly' at one printout but progressed up the list to'Doing well all others!' They then dumped me and half a dozen other malingerers in the 'contagious room' for a gooddisinfecting bath, before being shot out into the cruel world of school and mum's cooking(sorry luv!).I was 6 at the time!I think this subject was covered a couple of years back,Blakeyand I, along with a few others, posted a few experiences of thetime spent in wards T and TUThe YEP (and News?),also published a similar list for KillingbeckIsolation hospital, One of my schoolmates was in there withDiphtheria at the same time so our mums used to comparehow we were doing in our different hospitals! It's a wonderthere was anyone left in our class at school!By the way in 1936 the cost of a phonebox call was 2d! A testament to how treatment has changed in a way Arry - your disinfecting bath reminds me - even in my shorter existence than yours, I remember that any comfort toys going into Seacroft with say, a young sufferer of Scarlet Fever, met the ultimate disinfection process and didn't go home with the well patient afterwards; always seemed sad then.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

chameleon wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Can anyone recall the tiny little daily report in the papers wheer the patients were referred to by their hospital numbers. The format was something like this :-LEEDS INFIRMARYVery ill 90 604 Serious 78 225 1802Comfortable 290 556 1003 1190All others doing well.We tend to forget these days that relatively few folks had telephones and might find the "four pennies and press button A" in a telephone box difficult to come by. How times have changed - now you can ring each ward or department on its own specific number. Hiya Blakey.Yes,my number was on that list for abt 6 weeks in 1936 whenI caught scarlet fever and was shipped out to Seacroft!Was 'Very poorly' at one printout but progressed up the list to'Doing well all others!' They then dumped me and half a dozen other malingerers in the 'contagious room' for a gooddisinfecting bath, before being shot out into the cruel world of school and mum's cooking(sorry luv!).I was 6 at the time!I think this subject was covered a couple of years back,Blakeyand I, along with a few others, posted a few experiences of thetime spent in wards T and TUThe YEP (and News?),also published a similar list for KillingbeckIsolation hospital, One of my schoolmates was in there withDiphtheria at the same time so our mums used to comparehow we were doing in our different hospitals! It's a wonderthere was anyone left in our class at school!By the way in 1936 the cost of a phonebox call was 2d! A testament to how treatment has changed in a way Arry - your disinfecting bath reminds me - even in my shorter existence than yours, I remember that any comfort toys going into Seacroft with say, a young sufferer of Scarlet Fever, met the ultimate disinfection process and didn't go home with the well patient afterwards; always seemed sad then. I think they've continue that method too since the MRSA,C-difficile &Ecoli nasties became prevalent. Best idea really. No contactwith anything beyond the door!I think I mentioned one instance in my own case.waiting in thedreaded No-man's land after the cleansing(!),for Mum to collectme. Nurse came in and said 'Yer mam has brought 6 Jaffa'sfor you but you can't take em home so you'll have to eat em now!The other parolees cheered after the nurse gave em one eachto eat immediately! AND they Did!Couldn't begrudge them the jaffas and they should haveprovided plenty of Vitamin C to protect them (US!)from the cruel bugs on the tram going home!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="chameleon"It wwas posted by some guy named Blakey(about page 38 or so....) Sorry about the repetition chameleon and the regular gang - I'd completely forgotten about posting it before. I was born in 1936 and NOW I know why mi' mother coudn't get any nutritious orange juice for me - 'arry and his gang were scoffin' all the oranges in his "demob" ward at Seacroft !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

BLAKEY wrote: [quotenick="chameleon"It wwas posted by some guy named Blakey(about page 38 or so....) Sorry about the repetition chameleon and the regular gang - I'd completely forgotten about posting it before. I was born in 1936 and NOW I know why mi' mother coudn't get any nutritious orange juice for me - 'arry and his gang were scoffin' all the oranges in his "demob" ward at Seacroft !!Gave me a little giggle Blakey old boy - it's an indication of just how much there is on here really - doubt anyone can recall it all! Aside from that, with new people joining all the time, revisiting topics always opens up the possibility of new info coming to the fore, Jim and the station is a prime case in point I think - kept us busy for wweeks

gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

I don't remember the list as I was only about 6/7 years old but my mam told me that I was on this list for some time when I was on my last legs bed bound in Seacroft Hospital with some Hepatitis thingymibob problem (around 73'ish).But she told your my name was published next to your health status, but maybe I misunderstood?One of the nurses/sisters was called Grundy, cant remember the other name, I often wounder how they are as they really looked after me in there.I do have a picture of them but I cant load pictures on here as I don't have a degree in publishing!    

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

BLAKEY wrote: Can anyone recall the tiny little daily report in the papers where the patients were referred to by their hospital numbers. The format was something like this :-LEEDS INFIRMARYVery ill 90 604 Serious 78 225 1802Comfortable 290 556 1003 1190All others doing well.We tend to forget these days that relatively few folks had telephones and might find the "four pennies and press button A" in a telephone box difficult to come by. How times have changed - now you can ring each ward or department on its own specific number.     H BlakeyIf you look closely you will see just that little report here.http://www.flickr.com/photos/circuitron ... otostream/