Leeds Boxing Great

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
David B

Post by David B »

My Great Uncle was the Leeds Boxer, Joe Fox. Joe was born 8 February 1894 – 2 April 1965 and was just 5'5” tall. Joe went on to be British Bantamweight Champion between 22 November 1915 & 25 June 1917.Any more stories and photos would be appreciated.
Attachments
__TFMF_nr30xia0xrv0mkmg2e4hy5i0_4bc2d99d-303e-406e-8bd7-e3604fe86371_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_nr30xia0xrv0mkmg2e4hy5i0_4bc2d99d-303e-406e-8bd7-e3604fe86371_0_main.jpg (83.1 KiB) Viewed 17324 times
David B

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Seems to be a lot of info for Joe Fox on Google, have you tried there.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

SharonLisa1969

Post by SharonLisa1969 »

Hi!Joe Fox (Judah Zelickman) was my Great Great Uncle!Joe's brother Harry was my Great Grandfather.I'm also researching for info for the family tree i'm doing so I'd love to share info with you, and if you would like to give me your email address I can invite you to view my Ancestry.co.uk family tree?

LeedsBoxing

Post by LeedsBoxing »

HiYou maybe interested in a website I have created regarding Boxing and Boxers of Leeds which includes a small biography of Joe Fox. The website is www.leedsboxinghistory.com There is an excellent book written by Ronnie Wharton titled "Boxing in Leeds and Bradford" which has a full chapter on Joe Fox.

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

I've never been into boxing myself, but I understand some members of my family were quite well known - probably just before the second world war. My uncle - John (Johnny) Sadler - died last year aged 90 and I was shown some of the old bills publicising his fights from different parts of the country at the funeral tea. Whilst he was ill, I mentioned his boxing past to him and he said he had been 'North of England Champion' - but wasn't more specific. (He was a modest man). It could have been a schoolboy title. His brother was also a boxer - Eddie Sadler and his father Edwin Sadler helped run a boxing gym in the Cromwell Street area (now Lincoln Green) in the inter-war period. Johnny and Eddie lived in the York Road area then Torre Crescent, and attended St Charles' School before going into the army/marines in the war. I'd be interested in anything anyone might know about their boxing careers. I'd also be interested to hear anything about boxing referee 'Barber Green'. I used to have my hair cut by Danny Green on York Road, who retired about 20 years ago, and had old boxing bills all around his shop. 'Barber Green' was Danny's father - and was apparently quite famous in his time.    
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

LeedsBoxing

Post by LeedsBoxing »

Hi York Road Lad, I found your message very interesting and I have checked www.boxrec.com which gives details of professional boxers and their records, unfortunately nothing appeared on the site for the names mentioned, so they may have been amatuers. If I find any information in the future then I will post it here.Regards

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

Thanks for that. I know that Johnny used to receive some kind of payment - but this might have been a 'pass around the hat' collection rather than a payment by the venue. I believe that 'Barber Green' was a professional referee.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

FELIXCATBOY

Post by FELIXCATBOY »

I am posting this in the Hope that a relative of JOE FOX can add the information to his historyInformation. If you all know this then forgive me.I met the former boxer in the back streets of Birmingham and he was running a sweet shop inA run down building . It was the early sixties ,I was six or seven and I took in my pocket money to buy some sweets . I remember how dark and gloomy the shop was and the smell ( not horrible )My brother aged five stayed outside he was scared. When the bell on the door rang a man came From out of a back room and served me. I remember a belt with metal plates sittingOn a cabinet high up behind the counter he must have been proud of it. I saw a picture of the shop on a birmingham history site and I am attempting to get a copy if I can I will post it here.I remember the incident as if it were yesterday, I know where the shop was ( Bordesley )It may still be there. If this is of interest to anyone then feel free to contact me Peter. 07791 872257

jaele

Re: Leeds Boxing Great

Post by jaele »

Hi
Im writing a free teaching and learning resource for Leeds Museums and other partners exploring the 50 stories of leeds that every child should know before leaving primary school. We are covering one on sports in leeds and Id love to use your story on there. I wondered whether you could contact me by email [email protected] to let me know whether it will be possible. We would just need the image with permissions and caption and the story narrative. the other stories are hosted on My learning and we are continuously adding more each month. Heres one about theatre in leeds https://www.mylearning.org/stories/ente ... eatre/1015?

jaele

Re: Leeds Boxing Great

Post by jaele »

Hi
Im writing a free teaching and learning resource for Leeds Museums and other partners exploring the 50 stories of leeds that every child should know before leaving primary school. We are covering one on sports in leeds and Id love to use your story on there. I wondered whether you could contact me by email [email protected] to let me know whether it will be possible. We would just need the image with permissions and caption and the story narrative. the other stories are hosted on My learning and we are continuously adding more each month. Heres one about theatre in leeds https://www.mylearning.org/stories/ente ... eatre/1015?