Leeds in the 1870s

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

ArmleyLass47 wrote: Hi everyone,I started at page 1 and just finished up to page 12. Its taken me 2 hours laugh. What a fab story and all the help that has been given is a lovely thing. As mentioned though the times were hard and living in Armley when young it still was hard even in the 50's and 60's. We still had an outdoor toilet until I was 16. It was not very nice in Winter trying to get into the tin bath in front of the fire especially in about 3 inches of water laugh. The washing was hung out across the streets as the picture showed on page ? and I remember once when a lorry decided to take our street as a short cut and he took the washing with him as it cut the washing line. All the women came out of their houses and chased the lorry up the street shouting. He soon stopped and the lady whose washing it was had to take it off of the back of the lorry and wash it again. It had to be a coal lorry. I dont think he ever tried that as he nearly was lynched. Also about walking in those days. I used to walk miles when I was a child. There were no computer games to keep you in. I used to do about 10 miles a day when it was the school holidays and I ran most of them. The freedom was great and I can still chase a bus now even though I am in my 60's laugh. Frighten the bus driver to death when I jump on and show my free bus pass. Not related to any of your family Dakota but I see you have the Yorkshire sense of humour you seem to have inherited from your family. That will keep you going until you are old. Well done everyone and great to see people on form and showing the true Yorkshire grit I remember well when I was younger. They dont really have it as much here in Nottinghamshire. Miss it all so thats why I come back 'home' regularly, will be back in Leeds next Monday. Take care all and good luck in your ancestor searching.     Hello Armleylass, I too lived in Armley, nr the prison,just off Armley Rd,opposite John Wilby's showroom.Not there now though!I lived there from 1942 'til 1966 when I got married and moved to Drighlington. Did you go to Castleton school or Armley park C.S?
ex-Armley lad