Attn Mr 'Arry 'Awk

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
tilly

Post by tilly »

Arry wears the trousers in there house but the missus tells him which pair to put on. lol
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

tilly wrote: Arry wears the trousers in there house but the missus tells him which pair to put on. lol Hello 'arry, nice to here your OK! I did ask you a question on another thread some weeks ago and it was this. Can you remember when you were at Castleton Sch. The bomb being dropped on houses on Gloucester Rd, adjacent to the sch. What are your recollections of that incident, if any? I lived through the gap that was left when the other houses around it were demolished.I could see the school though the gap from my house
ex-Armley lad

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

stutterdog wrote: tilly wrote: Arry wears the trousers in there house but the missus tells him which pair to put on. lol Hello 'arry, nice to here your OK! I did ask you a question on another thread some weeks ago and it was this. Can you remember when you were at Castleton Sch. The bomb being dropped on houses on Gloucester Rd, adjacent to the sch. What are your recollections of that incident, if any? I lived through the gap that was left when the other houses around it were demolished.I could see the school though the gap from my house Coo! I must form a fan club and hire a secretary (P/A?).Thanx all for the welcome over the last few days.Sorry I missed the Castleton query. 'Fraid I left Castletonend of 1936 due to family move (Flit! Bailiffs after us mebbe?).During the Leeds Blitz in March 1941,we lived t'other side of theriver in the Rosebanks so,altho we too had a bomb or twovery close to us!(Two killed in our street).I wasn't concernedtoo much abt happenings in Armley! However, My first job on leaving school was at Marston Radiators(ICI) and I vaguely remember some bomb damagein the Gloucesters as the works entrance was on Gloucester RD!Best I can do. sorry!

Si

Post by Si »

stutterdog wrote: Can you remember when you were at Castleton Sch. The bomb being dropped on houses on Gloucester Rd, adjacent to the sch. What are your recollections of that incident, if any? I lived through the gap that was left when the other houses around it were demolished.I could see the school though the gap from my house Hi Stutterdog.1948 aerial picture taken by the RAF showing the gap in Gloucester Road/Avenue. (Click on the picture for more detail.)    
Attachments
__TFMF_1aj4vt2h22cojc555itfki2m_1ed5c8a0-c453-4740-9815-a1e576adc13b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_1aj4vt2h22cojc555itfki2m_1ed5c8a0-c453-4740-9815-a1e576adc13b_0_main.jpg (263.29 KiB) Viewed 2314 times

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: Can you remember when you were at Castleton Sch. The bomb being dropped on houses on Gloucester Rd, adjacent to the sch. What are your recollections of that incident, if any? I lived through the gap that was left when the other houses around it were demolished.I could see the school though the gap from my house Hi Stutterdog.1948 aerial picture taken by the RAF showing the gap in Gloucester Road/Avenue. (Click on the picture for more detail.)     Thanks Si for the pic. I can just make out th gap between the houses.We used to play on the site as kids. We called it the "holler". What gets me is there are no photos on Leodis of this incident and there was a family of 3 killed in the raid 'arry mentions Thanks also to 'arry for his information about the area. I too went to work at Marston's in 1957.Were you still there then? Remember Bob Butress the foreman and Jimmy Lees the undermanager,I'm sure they would be there when you worked there? Maybe you had moved on again by this time?
ex-Armley lad

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

BLAKEY wrote: Really grand to see you back 'Arry - and would we be right in thinking that you've REALLY been away because "Er Indoors" gave you 96 days detention for summat or other eh? eh? - I bet your knuckles are raw with peelin' spuds etc Nay Blakey lad, It's me knees giving me GYP fromscrubbing ' kitchen floor with an old toothbrush!She's let me off Whitewashing ' coil in' cellar 'oile'thank 'Eaven!

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: Can you remember when you were at Castleton Sch. The bomb being dropped on houses on Gloucester Rd, adjacent to the sch. What are your recollections of that incident, if any? I lived through the gap that was left when the other houses around it were demolished.I could see the school though the gap from my house Hi Stutterdog.1948 aerial picture taken by the RAF showing the gap in Gloucester Road/Avenue. (Click on the picture for more detail.)     Thanks Si for the pic. I can just make out th gap between the houses.We used to play on the site as kids. We called it the "holler". What gets me is there are no photos on Leodis of this incident and there was a family of 3 killed in the raid 'arry mentions Thanks also to 'arry for his information about the area. I too went to work at Marston's in 1957.Were you still there then? Remember Bob Butress the foreman and Jimmy Lees the undermanager,I'm sure they would be there when you worked there? Maybe you had moved on again by this time? Hi SD. I stand corrected regarding the number killed in '41in Rosebank View, the blitzed house was down past the Offy and Hollis (Place?)steps, toward the junction with Westfield Rd. You can still see the back (cellar?)walls of those houses from Burley Road.Regarding Marston's.I was only there from 1944 to late '45. when the war ended and they cut the staff no end (MY FIRSTRedundancy! I was a general Maintenance Apprentice butnot indentured so they didn't have to keep me on!Names I remember (abit vague!); Irving Todhunter,Sid Dakin,Bill Young, Norman? Barraclough, Norman Philips, The HenryFamily,Eric Overton and May Spring(Canteen?)In 1957 I had just done nine years RAF service!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: Can you remember when you were at Castleton Sch. The bomb being dropped on houses on Gloucester Rd, adjacent to the sch. What are your recollections of that incident, if any? I lived through the gap that was left when the other houses around it were demolished.I could see the school though the gap from my house Hi Stutterdog.1948 aerial picture taken by the RAF showing the gap in Gloucester Road/Avenue. (Click on the picture for more detail.)     Thanks Si for the pic. I can just make out th gap between the houses.We used to play on the site as kids. We called it the "holler". What gets me is there are no photos on Leodis of this incident and there was a family of 3 killed in the raid 'arry mentions Thanks also to 'arry for his information about the area. I too went to work at Marston's in 1957.Were you still there then? Remember Bob Butress the foreman and Jimmy Lees the undermanager,I'm sure they would be there when you worked there? Maybe you had moved on again by this time? Hi SD. I stand corrected regarding the number killed in '41in Rosebank View, the blitzed house was down past the Offy and Hollis (Place?)steps, toward the junction with Westfield Rd. You can still see the back (cellar?)walls of those houses from Burley Road.Regarding Marston's.I was only there from 1944 to late '45. when the war ended and they cut the staff no end (MY FIRSTRedundancy! I was a general Maintenance Apprentice butnot indentured so they didn't have to keep me on!Names I remember (abit vague!); Irving Todhunter,Sid Dakin,Bill Young, Norman? Barraclough, Norman Philips, The HenryFamily,Eric Overton and May Spring(Canteen?)In 1957 I had just done nine years RAF service! By Gum 'arry,youve taken me back 53years there! Those names you mentioned! Irving Todhunter was still there in '57.The Heny bros had by then formed their own little electicity contractors and did work for Marstons from time to time. May Spring was married to Harry Spring the transport manager but had left by the time I worked there! Thanks 'arry!
ex-Armley lad

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: Can you remember when you were at Castleton Sch. The bomb being dropped on houses on Gloucester Rd, adjacent to the sch. What are your recollections of that incident, if any? I lived through the gap that was left when the other houses around it were demolished.I could see the school though the gap from my house Hi Stutterdog.1948 aerial picture taken by the RAF showing the gap in Gloucester Road/Avenue. (Click on the picture for more detail.)     Thanks Si for the pic. I can just make out th gap between the houses.We used to play on the site as kids. We called it the "holler". What gets me is there are no photos on Leodis of this incident and there was a family of 3 killed in the raid 'arry mentions Thanks also to 'arry for his information about the area. I too went to work at Marston's in 1957.Were you still there then? Remember Bob Butress the foreman and Jimmy Lees the undermanager,I'm sure they would be there when you worked there? Maybe you had moved on again by this time? Hi SD. I stand corrected regarding the number killed in '41in Rosebank View, the blitzed house was down past the Offy and Hollis (Place?)steps, toward the junction with Westfield Rd. You can still see the back (cellar?)walls of those houses from Burley Road.Regarding Marston's.I was only there from 1944 to late '45. when the war ended and they cut the staff no end (MY FIRSTRedundancy! I was a general Maintenance Apprentice butnot indentured so they didn't have to keep me on!Names I remember (abit vague!); Irving Todhunter,Sid Dakin,Bill Young, Norman? Barraclough, Norman Philips, The HenryFamily,Eric Overton and May Spring(Canteen?)In 1957 I had just done nine years RAF service! By Gum 'arry,youve taken me back 53years there! Those names you mentioned! Irving Todhunter was still there in '57.The Heny bros had by then formed their own little electicity contractors and did work for Marstons from time to time. May Spring was married to Harry Spring the transport manager but had left by the time I worked there! Thanks 'arry! Yr welcome SD! I think a few have died in that time! I saw Irvingin the YEP Obits quite a while back! I seem to remember,also,a youngish member of upper management called Alec McLeanBethune! (s'right!) He always wore a lovat green suitand Tattershall shirt with a bowtie! Us lads alus said he pinched thecloth for the suit off a billiards table! (Green baize) Quite a nicechap for upper class.Dunno if he survived the redundancies. Probably got a knighthood and early retirement to the Bahamas!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Alright Arry?