Things you didn't do in the house

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Trojan
PostsCOLON 1990
JoinedCOLON Sat 22 Dec, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Trojan » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:07 am

My mam's friend was into the occult etc. She even had a ouija board. (She was a Methodist lay preacher too Confused) But she was really superstitious about green. She wouldn't have anything green in the house, or wear anything green.
I must admit that when we were first married we had a lot of green, green wallpaper, green door, green car, and we had a lot of bad luck. We gradually got rid of the green and things changed, which rather confirmed the superstition. But I'm not really convinced.
Industria Omnia Vincit
User avatar
Steve Jones
PostsCOLON 1478
JoinedCOLON Fri 18 Jan, 2008 2:41 pm
LocationCOLON Wakefield

Postby Steve Jones » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:11 am

the reason green is unlucky is because it was traditionally the fairies colour,so if you were wearing it they might be jealous or annoyed and curse you for it!
Steve Jones
I don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!
zip55
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Thu 15 Nov, 2007 7:17 pm

Postby zip55 » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 3:07 am

Steve Jones wrote:
the reason green is unlucky is because it was traditionally the fairies colour,so if you were wearing it they might be jealous or annoyed and curse you for it!


Green? The fairies at the bottom of my garden always wore pink.
Si
PostsCOLON 4480
JoinedCOLON Wed 10 Oct, 2007 7:22 am
LocationCOLON Otley

Postby Si » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 11:35 am

Planting a pear tree close to the house is supposed to be lucky.
Peonis are supposed to scream if you dig them up, as are mandrake roots. I'm sure Steve Jones will verify!    

Trojan
PostsCOLON 1990
JoinedCOLON Sat 22 Dec, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Trojan » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:14 pm

Si wrote:
Planting a pear tree close to the house is supposed to be lucky.
Peonis are supposed to scream if you dig them up, as are mandrake roots. I'm sure Steve Jones will verify!    

We had a lovely peony at our other house. The trouble is that you wait all spring for it to flower. You get a couple of weeks in late May early June, a storm and it's gone for another year. Still I had a ritual of going out on New Years Day to look if it was poking its shoots above the soil and invariably it was.
Industria Omnia Vincit
User avatar
tilly
PostsCOLON 1564
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:32 pm

Postby tilly » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 10:24 pm

Steve Jones wrote:
Rowan trees are lucky to have in the garden as they are supposed to keep away witches(never kept me away though<G>). Carters used to carry whips made from rowan wood so that people couldn't cast spells on their horses.
i suspect the association with witchcraft got confused and that is why some people thought they were unlucky.

In Pannet Park Museum Whitby there are one or two bits of rowan i think they are carved they came from old cottages that were pulled down and it states they were put in the cottages as steve says to keep away witches.Also in there is a human hand that has been dryed it was used by a burgler to hold a candle it was supposed to make him invisable at night.Honest i did not make this up go see for yourselfs.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.
Bert
PostsCOLON 156
JoinedCOLON Tue 16 Dec, 2008 6:04 pm

Postby Bert » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 11:10 pm

Si wrote:
Planting a pear tree close to the house is supposed to be lucky.
Peonis are supposed to scream if you dig them up, as are mandrake roots. I'm sure Steve Jones will verify!    


We had a pear tree right against the gable end of our house in Meynell Road Colton in the 1940s and it was decidedly unlucky - split it from top to bottom so wide you could see daylight through it. The pears were delicious though - used to fill the house's tin bath with them and sell them to passers by.
Si
PostsCOLON 4480
JoinedCOLON Wed 10 Oct, 2007 7:22 am
LocationCOLON Otley

Postby Si » Tue 12 Jan, 2010 9:54 am

tilly wrote:
Steve Jones wrote:
Rowan trees are lucky to have in the garden as they are supposed to keep away witches(never kept me away though<G>). Carters used to carry whips made from rowan wood so that people couldn't cast spells on their horses.
i suspect the association with witchcraft got confused and that is why some people thought they were unlucky.

In Pannet Park Museum Whitby there are one or two bits of rowan i think they are carved they came from old cottages that were pulled down and it states they were put in the cottages as steve says to keep away witches.Also in there is a human hand that has been dryed it was used by a burgler to hold a candle it was supposed to make him invisable at night.Honest i did not make this up go see for yourselfs.

It's true, Tillydowner. It was called "The Hand of Glory" I think.

Arry Awk
PostsCOLON 375
JoinedCOLON Wed 29 Oct, 2008 6:30 am

Postby Arry Awk » Tue 12 Jan, 2010 5:06 pm

Trojan wrote:
Steve Jones wrote:
Bringing may blossom into the house was supposed to be very unlucky,this actually goes back to the fact that it was a Pagan custom so the church tried to stop it by declaring it unlucky.



When I was a kid we used to say if you picked cow parsley and brought it into the house your mother would die. In fact we used to call it "mother die"


We called cow parsley, 'Stepmother' so guess it ties in
with mother die!
User avatar
tilly
PostsCOLON 1564
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:32 pm

Postby tilly » Tue 12 Jan, 2010 5:43 pm

Si wrote:
tilly wrote:
Steve Jones wrote:
Rowan trees are lucky to have in the garden as they are supposed to keep away witches(never kept me away though<G>). Carters used to carry whips made from rowan wood so that people couldn't cast spells on their horses.
i suspect the association with witchcraft got confused and that is why some people thought they were unlucky.

In Pannet Park Museum Whitby there are one or two bits of rowan i think they are carved they came from old cottages that were pulled down and it states they were put in the cottages as steve says to keep away witches.Also in there is a human hand that has been dryed it was used by a burgler to hold a candle it was supposed to make him invisable at night.Honest i did not make this up go see for yourselfs.

It's true, Tillydowner. It was called "The Hand of Glory" I think.

Your right Si it is called The Hand of Glory it must be ten years since i was at Whitby must go again soon .Tillydowner i bet that is going to stick iv been called a lot worse than that. LoL.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1 and 0 guests