Things you didn't do in the house

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Dobbie54

Post by Dobbie54 »

Elbows on the table.Also when I came in with cold wet feet from sledging.My Dad wouldn't let me put them in front of the fire to warm and dry because that would cause chillblains.
Bramley born and bred

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Dobbie54 wrote: Elbows on the table.Also when I came in with cold wet feet from sledging.My Dad wouldn't let me put them in front of the fire to warm and dry because that would cause chillblains. Yes, I was told the same. But I never caught chilblains.I did get the "hotaches" though. Very unpleasant :-((Haven't got the hang of emoticons yet).
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

Uno Hoo wrote: Dobbie54 wrote: Elbows on the table.Also when I came in with cold wet feet from sledging.My Dad wouldn't let me put them in front of the fire to warm and dry because that would cause chillblains. Yes, I was told the same. But I never caught chilblains.I did get the "hotaches" though. Very unpleasant :-((Haven't got the hang of emoticons yet). Just remove the "nose" Uno. Eg: :-(    =    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Uno Hoo wrote: Dobbie54 wrote: Elbows on the table.Also when I came in with cold wet feet from sledging.My Dad wouldn't let me put them in front of the fire to warm and dry because that would cause chillblains. Yes, I was told the same. But I never caught chilblains.I did get the "hotaches" though. Very unpleasant :-((Haven't got the hang of emoticons yet). Try this, slightly different to others:The following collection is currently supported:                             

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Uno Hoo wrote: Dobbie54 wrote: Elbows on the table.Also when I came in with cold wet feet from sledging.My Dad wouldn't let me put them in front of the fire to warm and dry because that would cause chillblains. Yes, I was told the same. But I never caught chilblains.I did get the "hotaches" though. Very unpleasant :-((Haven't got the hang of emoticons yet). Try this

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Uno Hoo wrote: Dobbie54 wrote: Elbows on the table.Also when I came in with cold wet feet from sledging.My Dad wouldn't let me put them in front of the fire to warm and dry because that would cause chillblains. Yes, I was told the same. But I never caught chilblains.I did get the "hotaches" though. Very unpleasant :-((Haven't got the hang of emoticons yet). Slightly different to elsewhere, kindly prepared by tyke bhoy some time ago now -Big Grin/Smile Colon CapitalD Anger Colon Open BracketSmile/Happy Colon CloseBracketSmile/Happy in sun glasses 8 CloseBracketLicking Lips Colon PBemused/Puzzled Colon QuestionMarkShock Colon SmallOHmmm Colon /Tears Semi colon open bracket        

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

chameleon wrote: Slightly different to elsewhere, kindly prepared by tyke bhoy some time ago now -Big Grin/Smile Colon CapitalD Anger Colon Open BracketSmile/Happy Colon CloseBracketSmile/Happy in sun glasses 8 CloseBracketLicking Lips Colon PBemused/Puzzled Colon QuestionMarkShock Colon SmallOHmmm Colon /Tears Semi colon open bracket         I appear to have missed two although embarassed doesn't work in the help file - SemiColon Open bracket - Sad - Colon Exclaimation mark - Embarassed            
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

tyke bhoy wrote: chameleon wrote: Slightly different to elsewhere, kindly prepared by tyke bhoy some time ago now -Big Grin/Smile Colon CapitalD Anger Colon Open BracketSmile/Happy Colon CloseBracketSmile/Happy in sun glasses 8 CloseBracketLicking Lips Colon PBemused/Puzzled Colon QuestionMarkShock Colon SmallOHmmm Colon /Tears Semi colon open bracket         I appear to have missed two although embarassed doesn't work in the help file - SemiColon Open bracket - Sad - Colon Exclaimation mark - Embarassed             I don't think it ever has!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

most of these are superstitions and relate to sympathetic magic i.e. if you do something that is similiar to what happened at a funeral such as drawing the curtains during the day or putting shoes on a table which resembled the old practicie of putting the deceased's shoes on their coffin,it could bring a death.i give talks on this stuff.it always surprises people when I point out that most superstition has a magical reason.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Hi Steve Jones. I realise that most of these "habits" are/were superstitions but didn't always know the reasons for doing/not doing certain things. I didn't know the reason for the "no shoes on the table", 'til you just explained why. Am I correct in thinking crossed knives and forks were the prelude to an argument? Why don't you open an umbrella in the house? Apart from the obvious reason of poking someone's eye out or knocking something over? I think the no bread on the fire was to do with want. Thanks for your interest.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?