Things you didn't do in the house

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Don' tplay in the house with a ball,(or a baloon at Christmas)usually knocked some thing over usually fragile.Not good practice in a crowded back to back
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

These aren't just confined to Leeds though are they?But mention of curtains reminded me that people Batley way don't close their curtains. They put them 'on'. Weirdos.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Dont drink the water with your Grandmas teeth in, maybe that was just our house ??

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

A really big superstition in our family was 'birds' inside the house(the feathered variety)this even stretchedto Pictures of birds too.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

Brandy wrote: A really big superstition in our family was 'birds' inside the house(the feathered variety)this even stretchedto Pictures of birds too. My mother would not have anything in the house with a Peacock picture on it, also don't cross on the stairs sign of bad luck.
Ex Leeds Lass

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

FLOJO wrote: Brandy wrote: A really big superstition in our family was 'birds' inside the house(the feathered variety)this even stretchedto Pictures of birds too. My mother would not have anything in the house with a Peacock picture on it, also don't cross on the stairs sign of bad luck. As I was going up the stairI met a man who wasn't thereHe wasn't there again todayI wish that he would go away!Spooky
Industria Omnia Vincit

Si

Post by Si »

Don't run whilst carrying scissors. Also, always hand them over handles first. I don't think it's a superstitiuon - just saves cleaning the carpet.    

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

Don't throw our rubbish out on New Years Day or you will throw your luck out for the rest of the year, also if you give someone a purse always put a coin in it so it will never be empty.
Ex Leeds Lass

Si

Post by Si »

New Year first-foot. Coal, salt and silver.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Si wrote: New Year first-foot. Coal, salt and silver. Which must be carried by a dark-haired person
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.