Things you didn't do in the house

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

If there is a similar thread to this on SL please ignore this one and point me in the right direction. As a kid I was always getting pulled-up for minor misdemeanours in the house such as, leaving your knife & fork crossed on your plate after a meal or putting shoes on the table, opening an umbrella in the house and something you never ever did was throw old bread on the fire. I'm sure other contributors must have more don'ts and even do's that spring to mind from time to time and even the reasons for doing or not doing them. Be interesting to find out.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Johnny39 wrote: If there is a similar thread to this on SL please ignore this one and point me in the right direction. As a kid I was always getting pulled-up for minor misdemeanours in the house such as, leaving your knife & fork crossed on your plate after a meal or putting shoes on the table, opening an umbrella in the house and something you never ever did was throw old bread on the fire. I'm sure other contributors must have more don'ts and even do's that spring to mind from time to time and even the reasons for doing or not doing them. Be interesting to find out. Don't put the empty salmon tin in the bin before it's had a spell on the fire to remove the smell - because of cats.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

You've obviously been well brought up, Johnny!But why would anyone want to put shoes on the table?A former colleague of mine, 40-odd years ago, once said it would bring bad luck.It would do in our house - pretty quickly!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I think the saying is 'don't put NEW shoes on a table'. But it may have got jumbled down the years.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

because dirty old shoes are fine on a table?

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Don't sit with your back to the fire (your spine will turn to jelly???)Don't cut your nails on a SundayLeave the house by the same door you came in.

liits

Post by liits »

Open an umbrella indoors or leave the Christmas decorations up after twelfth night.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits wrote: Open an umbrella indoors or leave the Christmas decorations up after twelfth night. Which despite what many think, is the 5th January! And I hope the grate was cleared and the ashes taken out before New Year arrived!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Leaving your curtains closed during the day was always a no no.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

blackprince wrote: Leaving your curtains closed during the day was always a no no. Used to be done when there had been a death in the family
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.