Things you didn't do in the house

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

chameleon wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: Dobbie54 wrote: Elbows on the table.Also when I came in with cold wet feet from sledging.My Dad wouldn't let me put them in front of the fire to warm and dry because that would cause chillblains. Yes, I was told the same. But I never caught chilblains.I did get the "hotaches" though. Very unpleasant :-((Haven't got the hang of emoticons yet). Slightly different to elsewhere, kindly prepared by tyke bhoy some time ago now -Big Grin/Smile Colon CapitalD Anger Colon Open BracketSmile/Happy Colon CloseBracketSmile/Happy in sun glasses 8 CloseBracketLicking Lips Colon PBemused/Puzzled Colon QuestionMarkShock Colon SmallOHmmm Colon /Tears Semi colon open bracket         Thanks to all who've explained in terms even I can understand.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

My grandmother wouldn't have lillies in the house, because they were 'funeral flowers'.
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Crazy Jane wrote: My grandmother wouldn't have lillies in the house, because they were 'funeral flowers'. Mrs Hoo won't either, but it's because the pollen gets everywhere.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Uno Hoo wrote: Crazy Jane wrote: My grandmother wouldn't have lillies in the house, because they were 'funeral flowers'. Mrs Hoo won't either, but it's because the pollen gets everywhere. Also very toxic to cats

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Also very toxic to cats I'll grow some in my garden, then.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Uno Hoo wrote: Also very toxic to cats I'll grow some in my garden, then. some of us do some of us don't (cats) But they aren't daft - they know what to avoid.They certainly know how to evade capture when they recognise the sound of the cat carrier coming out of the loft - that means the v e t for one of them

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Crazy Jane wrote: My grandmother wouldn't have lillies in the house, because they were 'funeral flowers'. This reminds me that when I was ill as a child flowers were always removed from my room at night and returned during the day. I think this was done in hospitals too. I think this was based on the "science" that plants photosynthesise during daylight and consume carban dioxide and generate oxygen whereas at night they consume oxygen.The idea that a bunch of cut flowers in a vase could have a significant effect on the compostion of gases in a room is a bit far fetched.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

chameleon wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: Also very toxic to cats I'll grow some in my garden, then. some of us do some of us don't (cats) But they aren't daft - they know what to avoid.They certainly know how to evade capture when they recognise the sound of the cat carrier coming out of the loft - that means the v e t for one of themActually I like cats, altho' I'm not a cat owner - yes, I know, dogs have owners, cats have staff - and occasionally have my son's cats while he's away. But, I also have neighbours on all sides who have cats, all of which make a beeline for our garden to perform their various functions. Many are unneutered - they wouldn't be if I caught 'em, so new ones come along to continue the tradition. So while I quite like cats, I also dislike cats.

liits

Post by liits »

Uno Hoo wrote: chameleon wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: Also very toxic to cats I'll grow some in my garden, then. some of us do some of us don't (cats) But they aren't daft - they know what to avoid.They certainly know how to evade capture when they recognise the sound of the cat carrier coming out of the loft - that means the v e t for one of them Actually I like cats, altho' I'm not a cat owner - yes, I know, dogs have owners, cats have staff - and occasionally have my son's cats while he's away. But, I also have neighbours on all sides who have cats, all of which make a beeline for our garden to perform their various functions. Many are unneutered - they wouldn't be if I caught 'em, so new ones come along to continue the tradition. So while I quite like cats, I also dislike cats. Chuck some orange peel in the borders, that keeps them away for weeks.    

MrsG

Post by MrsG »

My mum was very strict about the 'elbows on the table' one - I've passed it on to my 3 year old - she quite often will point it out if she sees anyone doing it (in restaurants, at mother in laws on Christmas day and apparently even at lunchtime at nursery!!My mum also told us that girls weren't allowed to whistle as Our Lady would get upset!?! I'm positive she made it up but to this day I still can't whistle properly because I never did it as a kid!!I think my mum made up alot of things like that...I was very gullible!