Things you didn't do in the house

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Si

Post by Si »

tilly wrote: Si wrote: tilly wrote: Steve Jones wrote: Rowan trees are lucky to have in the garden as they are supposed to keep away witches(never kept me away though<G>). Carters used to carry whips made from rowan wood so that people couldn't cast spells on their horses.i suspect the association with witchcraft got confused and that is why some people thought they were unlucky. In Pannet Park Museum Whitby there are one or two bits of rowan i think they are carved they came from old cottages that were pulled down and it states they were put in the cottages as steve says to keep away witches.Also in there is a human hand that has been dryed it was used by a burgler to hold a candle it was supposed to make him invisable at night.Honest i did not make this up go see for yourselfs. It's true, Tillydowner. It was called "The Hand of Glory" I think. Your right Si it is called The Hand of Glory it must be ten years since i was at Whitby must go again soon .Tillydowner i bet that is going to stick iv been called a lot worse than that. LoL. Sorry, mate. It's stuck!!! You can blame Chameleon!    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Si wrote: tilly wrote: Si wrote: tilly wrote: Steve Jones wrote: Rowan trees are lucky to have in the garden as they are supposed to keep away witches(never kept me away though<G>). Carters used to carry whips made from rowan wood so that people couldn't cast spells on their horses.i suspect the association with witchcraft got confused and that is why some people thought they were unlucky. In Pannet Park Museum Whitby there are one or two bits of rowan i think they are carved they came from old cottages that were pulled down and it states they were put in the cottages as steve says to keep away witches.Also in there is a human hand that has been dryed it was used by a burgler to hold a candle it was supposed to make him invisable at night.Honest i did not make this up go see for yourselfs. It's true, Tillydowner. It was called "The Hand of Glory" I think. Your right Si it is called The Hand of Glory it must be ten years since i was at Whitby must go again soon .Tillydowner i bet that is going to stick iv been called a lot worse than that. LoL. Sorry, mate. It's stuck!!! You can blame Chameleon!     but I'm not well - so I'm allowed:

tilly

Post by tilly »

Just had a thought the last house i lived in had a rowan tree at the bottom of the garden.I lived there for thirty years and never saw a witch in all that time so that says to me it works This house has no rowan tree and i cant get in the garden for witches. Ps Chameleon would you like me to bring a witch round to make you better.?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

BigSteveF

Post by BigSteveF »

Leeds born n bred and DJ'd in several Pubs Clubs between 1977 and 1985. ie The Cherry Tree, great times and great people. (Now living in Somerset).

tilly

Post by tilly »

BigSteveF wrote: Hand of Glory linkhttp://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/occult/the- ... ascinating stuff. Thanks for that BigSteveF it said used to be on display at Whitby. I wonder if it has been removed from display.

volvojack

Re: Things you didn't do in the house

Post by volvojack »

As a relative new Member i am trolling through old posts and have just discovered this one. The Best of all so far
so funny it bringing back superstitions i had heard and some i had not.
The one about being too near the fire would melt your spine was, i think so that your elders could get closer and my Grandmother always said old bread toasts the best (as bread was on ration that was quite a clever pitch to us kids) also she would never turn back home if she forgot her hankerchief but would call at our house and borrow one.
My Mother also used to say "Them that eats the most Yorkshires can have the most pudding" ( that left more meat for Dad )
As for walking under a ladder i think that was ok. although i would never do it if there was someone up it.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi v0lvojack When we were kids my mother would never throw any food on the fire eg old scraps of bread and such like.She used to say it was feeding the devil.
Last edited by tilly on Tue 03 Jan, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Just a rider to the old posts on Rowan Trees. When I moved into my current house the builder kindly planted a rowan in my front lawn. He did the same for my neighbour 2 doors down. When that house sold the new owner took a dislike to his rowan and dug it up. It was a hot day and I can picture him now red faced sweating away to uproot the thing. He died of heart attack the same night. It was probably the unaccustomed exercise that did for him. I'm not superstitious but my Rowan is still there 20 years later!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi blackprince Some of the old folk lore dates back hundreds if not thousands of years.There is a lot we dont know about the past so i tend not to make fun of things like this better to be safe than sorry i say.ps I am not saying that you are making fun it sounded like i was when i read my post. :D

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

Further to the power of Rowans and witches. It also works on elephants.I planted a Rowan in my garden, ever since, not a sign of a pachyderm.
batchoy