STRANGE - LOST JOBS

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Trojan wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: Trojan wrote: There were plenty of jobs in the mills that probably no longer exist, tackler, tuner, fettler, peicener, willyer (god knows) burlers and menders.The tuner was the guy who looked after the looms as in the song Poverty KnockPoverty, poverty knock,Tuner should come to mi loomPoverty, poverty knock,But 'ed rather sit on 'is bumPoverty, poverty knockAllus one eye on the clock'e seems to be busy'e's courtin' our LizzieAn' I cannot get 'im to cum. I could add a rude riposte to that last line, Trojan, but being a clean-living lad, I won't. This is, after all, a family site!!!!!! Well the next verse is fairly raceyPoverty, poverty knockOur Lizzie's so easily ledPoverty, poverty knockA reckon 'e teks 'er ter bedPoverty, poverty knockAllus one eye on the clock,She used to be skinnyBut look at 'er pinnyA think that it's 'igh time they wed. Nice one!Reminds me of a limerick:There was a young lady of Thrace,Whose corsets no longer would lace.Her mother said, "Nelly,There's more in your bellyThan ever went in through yer face"!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Uno Hoo wrote: Nice one!Reminds me of a limerick:There was a young lady of Thrace,Whose corsets no longer would lace.Her mother said, "Nelly,There's more in your bellyThan ever went in through yer face"!
Industria Omnia Vincit

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Hannibal69 wrote: raveydavey wrote: Wheeltappers and shunters? On behalf of the committee....LOL Not that I remember that, of course, I'm far too young!!! Best wishes,Han. Note to self; item, go easy on the vino when posting, may give away true age!!! It was a close call, but I think I got away with it this time. LOL 'On Behalf of the Commitee' is a new book - a history of northern humour.Radio Leeds interviewed the author earlier in the week but I only caught the tail end of it.Sounded very interesting.Will try i-player later,Graham Liver on Thursday I think.Possibly one for Santa's sock ?RRP is £26 hard back -£23.24 delivered from Amazon
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

It was Thursday on BBC Radio Leeds -Grham Liver.It's aboutan hour 12 mins into the prog on i-player..Just had a quick listen,did you know there was a george Formby SENIOR ??
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

raveydavey wrote: Wheeltappers and shunters? I don't know about shunters, but I can certainly remember the wheeltapper, he had a hammer on a long shaft, the head didn't look particularly heavy, and while the trains were in the station, he would go around the train and tap each wheel - presumably to test if it was cracked.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Trojan wrote: raveydavey wrote: Wheeltappers and shunters? I don't know about shunters, but I can certainly remember the wheeltapper, he had a hammer on a long shaft, the head didn't look particularly heavy, and while the trains were in the station, he would go around the train and tap each wheel - presumably to test if it was cracked. Not too long (within 3 years) ago, I got into conversation with a man on a train from Leeds to London. He said he was a wheeltapper, and on his way to Old Oak Common to tap wheels there. Apparently there aren't too many left (wheeltappers, that is, not wheels), hence his need to travel substantially.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

kango

Post by kango »

dogduke wrote: It was Thursday on BBC Radio Leeds -Grham Liver.It's aboutan hour 12 mins into the prog on i-player..Just had a quick listen,did you know there was a george Formby SENIOR ?? Indeed there was, a pre 20's variety artiste who recorded mainly on the pathe label a very unusual disc that played from the center outwards!!        

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Uno Hoo wrote: Trojan wrote: raveydavey wrote: Wheeltappers and shunters? I don't know about shunters, but I can certainly remember the wheeltapper, he had a hammer on a long shaft, the head didn't look particularly heavy, and while the trains were in the station, he would go around the train and tap each wheel - presumably to test if it was cracked. Not too long (within 3 years) ago, I got into conversation with a man on a train from Leeds to London. He said he was a wheeltapper, and on his way to Old Oak Common to tap wheels there. Apparently there aren't too many left (wheeltappers, that is, not wheels), hence his need to travel substantially. Improvements in metal and manufacturing did away with wheeltapping on a regular basis.Ultrasound testing is also used.Shunting is pretty much a thing of the past.All diesel units have auto couplers.Most passenger and freight trains work in a fixed formation,only requiring alterations to knock out defective vehicles.All coupling/uncouping seems to be done manually by getting between the 2 vehicles.Old style shunting poles were about 6 foot long and were I think made from ash(trees!)with a metal curly hook on the end.A definate skill in coupling/uncoupling whilst vehicles still in motion.not many automatic brake pipes to couple on old freight trains.The Carriage and Wagon examier was always known as 'The Tapper'.Now known as a Rolling Stock Technician

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

dogduke wrote: [Shunting is pretty much a thing of the past.All diesel units have auto couplers.Most passenger and freight trains work in a fixed formation,only requiring alterations to knock out defective vehicles.All coupling/uncouping seems to be done manually by getting between the 2 vehicles. I remember the huge marshalling yard at Healy Mills. It was built in the fifties and I'm told they actually diverted the course of the Calder during its construction. It's still in use but not as a marshalling yard.
Industria Omnia Vincit

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I remember the huge marshalling yard at Healy Mills. It was built in the fifties and I'm told they actually diverted the course of the Calder during its construction. It's still in use but not as a marshalling yard. Healey Mills was one on many new yards in the BR national plan.Tyne,Tees,Tinsley,Temple Mill,Whitemoor(now a nick) among others.Plans for a new yard at Stourton were abandoned, probably because of its proximity to Healey Mills.Pity they didn't realise this before wasting(i think)millions on trackand bridge improvements to service Stourton from Lofthouse via Robin Hood.