STRANGE - LOST JOBS

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Mooching thro' Leodis etc you come across business,trades and jobswhich no longer exist.Looking at photo of Industrial Terrace-Beckett Street-Shakespeare Street area there is mention of former residents working as brick burners,not something i've heard of before.Some appeared to work locally but two were working away in the Wrexham area.How many other trades have been lost within this 'former mighty industrial city'?There must have been seemed oddly named jobs in engineering,tailoring and other trades in Leeds
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Binmen.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

weenie

Post by weenie »

Whitesmiths!! and meter readers

Si

Post by Si »

Sagger-maker's bottom-knocker!No, really. It was a real job.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

surely the saggar maker was in the Potteries, not Leeds ?

Hannibal69

Post by Hannibal69 »

weenie wrote: Whitesmiths!! and meter readers Is a Whitesmith the same as a Tinsmith, or a different trade altogether?As for the meter readers, don't tell anyone, but I walled them all up when I had the new kitchen done!!! lol p.s. Good job I had them fit that extractor fan!!!Han.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. But give him a religion and he'll starve to death, while praying for a fish.

weenie

Post by weenie »

Hannibal69 wrote: weenie wrote: Whitesmiths!! and meter readers Is a Whitesmith the same as a Tinsmith, or a different trade altogether?As for the meter readers, don't tell anyone, but I walled them all up when I had the new kitchen done!!! lol p.s. Good job I had them fit that extractor fan!!!Han. a Tinsmith i presume, is someone who works with Tin?, as i was told a Whitesmith worked with cold metal, as a blacksmith works with hot metal.

Hannibal69

Post by Hannibal69 »

weenie wrote: Hannibal69 wrote: weenie wrote: Whitesmiths!! and meter readers Is a Whitesmith the same as a Tinsmith, or a different trade altogether?As for the meter readers, don't tell anyone, but I walled them all up when I had the new kitchen done!!! lol p.s. Good job I had them fit that extractor fan!!!Han. a Tinsmith i presume, is someone who works with Tin?, as i was told a Whitesmith worked with cold metal, as a blacksmith works with hot metal. Hi weenie,Did some digging, found this at WikiAnswers.com."A Whitesmith works with light coloured metals such as tin and pewter and usually cold (Unlike the Blacksmith who works with HOT metals to forge) I think the name is also given to light metal polishers."You were spot on, thanks for replying. I did get the tin bit right (says Han sulkily) trying not to seem like a complete airhead!!! LOL.All the best,Han.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. But give him a religion and he'll starve to death, while praying for a fish.

Si

Post by Si »

chemimike wrote: surely the saggar maker was in the Potteries, not Leeds ? No, sagger makers work wherever there are potteries, including Leeds. Ever heard of Leeds Cream Ware? A sagger is the pot surround that each piece of unfired pottery is put in inside the kiln to prevent breakage (I think!)

weenie

Post by weenie »

Hannibal69 wrote: weenie wrote: Hannibal69 wrote: weenie wrote: Whitesmiths!! and meter readers Is a Whitesmith the same as a Tinsmith, or a different trade altogether?As for the meter readers, don't tell anyone, but I walled them all up when I had the new kitchen done!!! lol p.s. Good job I had them fit that extractor fan!!!Han. a Tinsmith i presume, is someone who works with Tin?, as i was told a Whitesmith worked with cold metal, as a blacksmith works with hot metal. Hi weenie,Did some digging, found this at WikiAnswers.com."A Whitesmith works with light coloured metals such as tin and pewter and usually cold (Unlike the Blacksmith who works with HOT metals to forge) I think the name is also given to light metal polishers."You were spot on, thanks for replying. I did get the tin bit right (says Han sulkily) trying not to seem like a complete airhead!!! LOL.All the best,Han. Lol Han, i only found there was ever such thing as a Whitesmith last week when it kept cropping up on the census of the people i was tracing and asked a friend if they had heard of it and that is what i was told, so if this had come up last week i wouldnt have known