STRANGE - LOST JOBS

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Trojan wrote: There were plenty of jobs in the mills that probably no longer exist, tackler, tuner, fettler, peicener, willyer (god knows) burlers and menders.The tuner was the guy who looked after the looms as in the song Poverty KnockPoverty, poverty knock,Tuner should come to mi loomPoverty, poverty knock,But 'ed rather sit on 'is bumPoverty, poverty knockAllus one eye on the clock'e seems to be busy'e's courtin' our LizzieAn' I cannot get 'im to cum. I could add a rude riposte to that last line, Trojan, but being a clean-living lad, I won't. This is, after all, a family site!!!!!!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

cnosni wrote: chemimike wrote: The 1854 map at http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapshe ... =241&y=405 seems to show the Beck running alongside the road. On the old maps 1894 map it seem to be missing, so must have disappeared between those dates Its probably still there,just buily over.Im sure that on one of Phils explores,where he is in the beck which runs into the Aire at the armouries,that there is a picture of some large vertical drain cover,near the York Road flyover.Ill have a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cecu5kyUf2Mat aboy 7 mins 56 secs,3 large drain holes.Not running with water, but could well be where the Stony Rock Beck would run to the Mabgate stream.Can anyone see on another 1854 map where it does this in vitorian times?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

struggling to move around to another map on the site.Perhaps it didnt run to Mabgate at all,it may weel have made its own course to the Aire ,via Marsh Lane area,hence the term "Marsh" Lane
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Can't see anything further south on the 1854 map. A pity it is not more detailed. The 1904 alan godfrey map at does seem to show (in red) part of the stream by the terra cotta works and possibly a little bit by the brickworks (in red), but can't see anything further on

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The link didn't seem to take . try again

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

and again

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Stoney Rock Beck is now piped down stoney rock lane, turns right just after primrose school and then straight down Lincoln green Road to Ladybeck.I can't see anything current continuing to the south. However an old and relatively large culverted water course arises out side the harp pub on Cromwell road and wiggles through the buildings towards mabgate going down the side of the Mabgate cafe. the angle of the buildings/plots indicate its course and that it's been there some time. Don't know if it links to the old Stoney rock beck.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

My wife is researching our family history and one of relatives in Armley in 1904 was a boot clicker. 5 years later he is registered as a shoe clicker. Promotion???

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Nah, marketing!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Uno Hoo wrote: Trojan wrote: There were plenty of jobs in the mills that probably no longer exist, tackler, tuner, fettler, peicener, willyer (god knows) burlers and menders.The tuner was the guy who looked after the looms as in the song Poverty KnockPoverty, poverty knock,Tuner should come to mi loomPoverty, poverty knock,But 'ed rather sit on 'is bumPoverty, poverty knockAllus one eye on the clock'e seems to be busy'e's courtin' our LizzieAn' I cannot get 'im to cum. I could add a rude riposte to that last line, Trojan, but being a clean-living lad, I won't. This is, after all, a family site!!!!!! Well the next verse is fairly raceyPoverty, poverty knockOur Lizzie's so easily ledPoverty, poverty knockA reckon 'e teks 'er ter bedPoverty, poverty knockAllus one eye on the clock,She used to be skinnyBut look at 'er pinnyA think that it's 'igh time they wed.
Industria Omnia Vincit