STRANGE - LOST JOBS

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

There were plenty of jobs in the mills that probably no longer exist, tackler, tuner, fettler, peicener, willyer (god knows) burlers and menders.The tuner was the guy who looked after the looms as in the song Poverty KnockPoverty, poverty knock,Tuner should come to mi loomPoverty, poverty knock,But 'ed rather sit on 'is bumPoverty, poverty knockAllus one eye on the clock'e seems to be busy'e's courtin' our LizzieAn' I cannot get 'im to cum.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

One of my ancesters made a living making boxes for silk hats!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

harehills-steve

Post by harehills-steve »

dogduke wrote: Mooching thro' Leodis etc you come across business,trades and jobswhich no longer exist.Looking at photo of Industrial Terrace-Beckett Street-Shakespeare Street area there is mention of former residents working as brick burners,not something i've heard of before.Some appeared to work locally but two were working away in the Wrexham area.How many other trades have been lost within this 'former mighty industrial city'?There must have been seemed oddly named jobs in engineering,tailoring and other trades in Leeds Burmantofts Pottery was nearby so the brick burners would have worked there, I'm interested in this particular area but photos on Leodis only seem to show chimneys, love to know a bit more, especially as theirs so much of the product around Leeds.

kango

Post by kango »

Trojan wrote: There were plenty of jobs in the mills that probably no longer exist, tackler, tuner, fettler, peicener, willyer (god knows) burlers and menders.The tuner was the guy who looked after the looms as in the song Poverty KnockPoverty, poverty knock,Tuner should come to mi loomPoverty, poverty knock,But 'ed rather sit on 'is bumPoverty, poverty knockAllus one eye on the clock'e seems to be busy'e's courtin' our LizzieAn' I cannot get 'im to cum. Our lass were a Burler and Mender at Salts mill, till Her eyesight went, then she married Me!!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

[quotenick=Burmantofts Pottery was nearby so the brick burners would have worked there, I'm interested in this particular area but photos on Leodis only seem to show chimneys, love to know a bit more, especially as theirs so much of the product around Leeds.Leeds City Libaries have book on Burmantofts Pottery.Includes I think all of their history and several photos of the products made.One thing that puzzled me was that around that time - Stoney Rock Lane,a main roald running parralell to Becket Street was described as a quiet counry lane with a stream running alongside,am I living over some unknown water course??
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

harehills-steve

Post by harehills-steve »

There you go! I didnt know that, has it been diverted to the beck? Even then presumably its still under here somewhere.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The 1854 map at http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapshe ... =241&y=405 seems to show the Beck running alongside the road. On the old maps 1894 map it seem to be missing, so must have disappeared between those dates

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

kango wrote: Our lass were a Burler and Mender at Salts mill, till Her eyesight went, then she married Me!!My mother was a burler & mender, too. She always referred to her employer as "Bimmy's", and for years I thought this was the firm's actual name. Then, long after she'd died, I happened to see a TV programme about a still-operating mill in Stanningley called Abimilech Hainsworth & Co (or something similar). Then the penny dropped!My late father-in-law was a percher, at S. Jerome & Sons, almost next door to Salts. He spent his working days, poor sod, examining finished pieces of cloth for faults. His hobby was watching paint dry.    
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

chemimike wrote: The 1854 map at http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapshe ... =241&y=405 seems to show the Beck running alongside the road. On the old maps 1894 map it seem to be missing, so must have disappeared between those dates Its probably still there,just buily over.Im sure that on one of Phils explores,where he is in the beck which runs into the Aire at the armouries,that there is a picture of some large vertical drain cover,near the York Road flyover.Ill have a look
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Hannibal69 wrote: Keg wrote: Uno- just re-read your reply about stools.... and sprayed coffee all ove rmy monitor...superb! Hi Keg, It caught be that way too!!! lol Excuse me waiter, but there is a laptop in my coffee!!! lol.Han. Thanks, gents. Good to know they don't all fall on stony ground!!!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.