Family History

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
liits

Post by liits »

Hi cnosni,odd that it doesn't work, could you tryalthough I think that having spoken to the Registrar at the town hall today, I think some of my quetions may have been partly answered.    

Hollie

Post by Hollie »

Has anyone information of a Mill called Thomas Burnley in Gomersal. My Great Auntie Doris worked there for over fifty years and I have a Gold Rolex Watch which she received for loyal service. She was a Pattern Maker and Woll Sampler.I believe that there is a Museum called the Red House at Gomersal which I need to visit soon.
xxx

Hollie

Post by Hollie »

Of course I meant Wool Sampler.Her full name is Doris Woffenden and she never married. She lived in Howden Clough for the last years of her life.
xxx

weenie

Post by weenie »

Hi all, Ive just had my first look at the 1911 census, oh my word! i have found out that my grandfather has got 3 more siblings that none of my imediate family knew about, my father never mentioned them!! nor did my uncle! but what i would like help with is does anyone know where PENRAEVON PLACE is in West Leeds? never ever heard of it before ??many thanks in advance Rowena

jim

Post by jim »

There is a Penraevon Avenue off Meanwood Road on its eastern side, about half waybetween Cambridge Road an Buslingthorpe Lane.Penraevon Street ran ( and may still run ) south from it, parallel to Meanwood Road. Might this be what you are looking for?

weenie

Post by weenie »

Perhaps there might have been a place around them, thankyou Jim

jim

Post by jim »

I should have added that the info comes from a 1950s street map. It shows at least three streets connecting with the two I mention, but that are unidentified. Penraevon Avenue is still shown on my most recent street atlas, but no others. Perhaps Penraevon Place was one of the unidentified streets shown on the 1950s map.

jim

Post by jim »

Found it! Godfrey sheet 203.14, 1906 shows - traveling north on Meanwood Road, past the Cambridge Road junction, second right is Jackson Road. First left into Penraevon Street, Penraevon Place is first right. Ten back-to-backs without gardens each side. Very handy for schools, Corporation Baths, tannery, boot works, and leather and glue works!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

jim wrote: Found it! Godfrey sheet 203.14, 1906 shows - traveling north on Meanwood Road, past the Cambridge Road junction, second right is Jackson Road. First left into Penraevon Street, Penraevon Place is first right. Ten back-to-backs without gardens each side. Very handy for schools, Corporation Baths, tannery, boot works, and leather and glue works! All this became the Penraevon Industrial Estate, a mixture of the old mills being converted to smaller units and new build in the late 70's. Looks like many of the older propertieds have been replaced too now.The line of the old road must be parallel to the new service road within the estate, a little further east perhaps.In its early days, it was rather unknown and a swine to find, so much so, the garage close by got so fed up they started displaying a sign stating: directions - 50p!

weenie

Post by weenie »

Oh Jim,Thats fantastic thankyou so much, that does fit in very nicely, you see my gt grandad Robert was a boot shop manager in Wales but they moved to Leeds ( i was told 1904, but abviously now between 1909 /1911) and on the 1911 census states Leather machine Shaver. and my Auntie was a Machine hand. plus the schools for the others. all fits in very nicely. plus my father was born Lofthouse Place so not too far from there. i would just love to know why these 3 sons have never been mentioned before? many thanx once again