Family History

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

uncle mick wrote: cnosni wrote: uncle mick wrote: carith wrote: I have been trying to trace a birth on the Find my past website and found two entries for the same person but under different surnames. I thought that this could only be done if the said person had been adopted. This person had never been adopted so are there any other reason that this could have occured     I have come across this in my own research.It occurred when the parents were unmarried.Lets suppose the childs name was John,his mothers surname was Smith and his fathers surname Brown.He would be registered as John Smith and John Brown. I hope that makes sense         Michael         Hi Uncle MickI have lots of unmarried couples having children in the 19th century,ive not had any of them being registered twice.I have had them naming their children with the fathers surname but alos having the mothers surname as a middle name,not as a double barrelled surname.If thats the case then its a first for me.Its especially odd as it wasnt cheap to register anything in the 19th century,hence a lot of poor people didnt even bother until fines for non registration were introduced in 1865.     Cnosni.     I have just come across this in the last few weeks. I was doing a family tree for someone born in 1941.    He was born out of wedlock and when tracing his b/cert I noticed he was registered twice,once in his fathers surname and once in his mothers surname.    I sent both both certs (both the same). I don't know if it was common practice but it certainly happened in this case.                     Michael P.S. His mother had been married before So is there crossreferncing of mother and father names on both certificates?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

weenie wrote: Hi again guys nxt piece in my puzzle with my tree. this one is a stinker!! i am looking for John Morton B1857 Rothwell married Martha Elizabeth Harrison 1878 Leeds, had 5 children all born Holbeck , Hunslet i can find him on all census upto 1901 i have found Martha on the 1901 census with the children in Hunslet she is listed as still married, but John is no where to be found? no death either. i have also found that she married a Irvine Shuttleworth 14 years her junior in 1910 am wondering if he may have served in Boer war, if this is possible could i be able to find the service records or something to tye him in with. many thanx Link to those from Leeds who served and died in th Boer Warhttp://www.roll-of-honour.com/Yorkshire/LeedsBoerWar.htmlNo mention of a John Morton,unless he had another initial.Like you say cant find a death fo him between 1901 and 1910,unless of course there is an error on the 1901 census as to the marital status.Cant find the 1901 census for martha either
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

cnosni wrote: weenie wrote: Hi again guys nxt piece in my puzzle with my tree. this one is a stinker!! i am looking for John Morton B1857 Rothwell married Martha Elizabeth Harrison 1878 Leeds, had 5 children all born Holbeck , Hunslet i can find him on all census upto 1901 i have found Martha on the 1901 census with the children in Hunslet she is listed as still married, but John is no where to be found? no death either. i have also found that she married a Irvine Shuttleworth 14 years her junior in 1910 am wondering if he may have served in Boer war, if this is possible could i be able to find the service records or something to tye him in with. many thanx Link to those from Leeds who served and died in th Boer Warhttp://www.roll-of-honour.com/Yorkshire/LeedsBoerWar.htmlNo mention of a John Morton,unless he had another initial.Like you say cant find a death fo him between 1901 and 1910,unless of course there is an error on the 1901 census as to the marital status.Cant find the 1901 census for martha either This is Martha in the 1901 census I thinkhttp://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=7814&path=Yorkshire.Hunslet.ALL.1.33

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

cnosni wrote: uncle mick wrote: cnosni wrote: uncle mick wrote: carith wrote: I have been trying to trace a birth on the Find my past website and found two entries for the same person but under different surnames. I thought that this could only be done if the said person had been adopted. This person had never been adopted so are there any other reason that this could have occured     I have come across this in my own research.It occurred when the parents were unmarried.Lets suppose the childs name was John,his mothers surname was Smith and his fathers surname Brown.He would be registered as John Smith and John Brown. I hope that makes sense         Michael         Hi Uncle MickI have lots of unmarried couples having children in the 19th century,ive not had any of them being registered twice.I have had them naming their children with the fathers surname but alos having the mothers surname as a middle name,not as a double barrelled surname.If thats the case then its a first for me.Its especially odd as it wasnt cheap to register anything in the 19th century,hence a lot of poor people didnt even bother until fines for non registration were introduced in 1865.     Cnosni.     I have just come across this in the last few weeks. I was doing a family tree for someone born in 1941.    He was born out of wedlock and when tracing his b/cert I noticed he was registered twice,once in his fathers surname and once in his mothers surname.    I sent both both certs (both the same). I don't know if it was common practice but it certainly happened in this case.                     Michael P.S. His mother had been married before So is there crossreferncing of mother and father names on both certificates? Both certificates are exactly the same but when you look at the quarterly registrations he is listed twice with his father's surname and his mothers surname

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

cnosni wrote: weenie wrote: Hi again guys nxt piece in my puzzle with my tree. this one is a stinker!! i am looking for John Morton B1857 Rothwell married Martha Elizabeth Harrison 1878 Leeds, had 5 children all born Holbeck , Hunslet i can find him on all census upto 1901 i have found Martha on the 1901 census with the children in Hunslet she is listed as still married, but John is no where to be found? no death either. i have also found that she married a Irvine Shuttleworth 14 years her junior in 1910 am wondering if he may have served in Boer war, if this is possible could i be able to find the service records or something to tye him in with. many thanx Link to those from Leeds who served and died in th Boer Warhttp://www.roll-of-honour.com/Yorkshire/LeedsBoerWar.htmlNo mention of a John Morton,unless he had another initial.Like you say cant find a death fo him between 1901 and 1910,unless of course there is an error on the 1901 census as to the marital status.Cant find the 1901 census for martha either There is a death for a John Morton in 1908 at Rothwell,but no age is givenhttp://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/deathind.cgi

carith

Post by carith »

cnosni wrote:Im getting confused here.Are there two seperate birth certificates with two seperate records of birth registration on the GRO?If so then they are two seperate births of two seperate children,not the same child registered twice.If you could provide the details of what is on the certificates then it would help.hi cnosni there was only one certificate issued although there were two records held at the registry office of the birth, one in the mothers name and one in the fathers name.

weenie

Post by weenie »

cnosni wrote: weenie wrote: Hi again guys nxt piece in my puzzle with my tree. this one is a stinker!! i am looking for John Morton B1857 Rothwell married Martha Elizabeth Harrison 1878 Leeds, had 5 children all born Holbeck , Hunslet i can find him on all census upto 1901 i have found Martha on the 1901 census with the children in Hunslet she is listed as still married, but John is no where to be found? no death either. i have also found that she married a Irvine Shuttleworth 14 years her junior in 1910 am wondering if he may have served in Boer war, if this is possible could i be able to find the service records or something to tye him in with. many thanx Link to those from Leeds who served and died in th Boer Warhttp://www.roll-of-honour.com/Yorkshire/LeedsBoerWar.htmlNo mention of a John Morton,unless he had another initial.Like you say cant find a death fo him between 1901 and 1910,unless of course there is an error on the 1901 census as to the marital status.Cant find the 1901 census for martha either Thankyou CNSONI and Uncle mick, yes that is the census record i have for Martha too. i am going to the Library tomorrow to have a look at his birth as i think i may have found a death cert for him, but its possible Leeds birth, so will check tomorrow, its been quite a journey trying to find him but wont stop till i do. i will aslo check the death for rothwell too. i will keep you posted lol, Thankyou weenie

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

uncle mick wrote: cnosni wrote: weenie wrote: Hi again guys nxt piece in my puzzle with my tree. this one is a stinker!! i am looking for John Morton B1857 Rothwell married Martha Elizabeth Harrison 1878 Leeds, had 5 children all born Holbeck , Hunslet i can find him on all census upto 1901 i have found Martha on the 1901 census with the children in Hunslet she is listed as still married, but John is no where to be found? no death either. i have also found that she married a Irvine Shuttleworth 14 years her junior in 1910 am wondering if he may have served in Boer war, if this is possible could i be able to find the service records or something to tye him in with. many thanx Link to those from Leeds who served and died in th Boer Warhttp://www.roll-of-honour.com/Yorkshire/LeedsBoerWar.htmlNo mention of a John Morton,unless he had another initial.Like you say cant find a death fo him between 1901 and 1910,unless of course there is an error on the 1901 census as to the marital status.Cant find the 1901 census for martha either This is Martha in the 1901 census I thinkhttp://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=7814&path=Yorkshire.Hunslet.ALL.1.33 Thats defo "M " for married.Wonder why my Ancestry search didnt turn Martha up

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

On free BMD,unfortunately equates to birth year of 1872Deaths Dec 1908 (>99%)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------MORTON John age 36 Hunslet 9b 186

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Cnosni or anyone else. Are there any archives for railway personal ?The reason I ask is that my Grandfather joined the railway (in Leeds) between 1891 and 1901 and was still there when he died in 1937. My Father also worked on the railways (in Leeds) from circa 1924 till his retirement in 1971. My Dad used to joke (I think) that they only joined the railway so that they didn't have to fight in the wars.             Michael