street location .Otley.1908.Anyone help?

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

here is the info on Otley Workhouse:http://www.judandk.force9.co.uk/workhou ... FEDALElots of details about it plus pictures.Look for Wharfdale Union.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Steve Jones wrote: here is the info on Otley Workhouse:http://www.judandk.force9.co.uk/workhou ... FEDALElots of details about it plus pictures.Look for Wharfdale Union. Thanks Steve.This is brilliant! It's amazing what the people on SL know and the help they give. I didn.t realize that Otley hospital was originally the workhouse.
ex-Armley lad

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Glad to help Stutterdog.regarding Jennings Yard. Alan Godfrey have the 1906 edition of the Otley OS map for sale.a quick Google turned up two Jennings who were both pub owners in early directories so maybe it is at the back of a pub.A Leeds site for planning applications appears to have something but I couldn't access it.I think I might have the Godfrey map in my collection so I will try and have a look tomorrow night when I get in.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Steve Jones wrote: Glad to help Stutterdog.regarding Jennings Yard. Alan Godfrey have the 1906 edition of the Otley OS map for sale.a quick Google turned up two Jennings who were both pub owners in early directories so maybe it is at the back of a pub.A Leeds site for planning applications appears to have something but I couldn't access it.I think I might have the Godfrey map in my collection so I will try and have a look tomorrow night when I get in. Thanks again Steve for your help on this.I am much obliged.
ex-Armley lad

Si

Post by Si »

I've had a look at my Godfrey's 1906 map, but there's no sign of Jenning's Yard. I'll ask in the pub this lunchtime if anyone knows of it's whereabouts.Cheers,Nick...I mean Si!    PS The old Infirmary (Workhouse) is currently boarded up. It fell into disuse when the new hospital opened a few years ago. I should imagine it's a listed building.        

Si

Post by Si »

Steve Jones wrote: Glad to help Stutterdog.regarding Jennings Yard. Alan Godfrey have the 1906 edition of the Otley OS map for sale.a quick Google turned up two Jennings who were both pub owners in early directories so maybe it is at the back of a pub.A Leeds site for planning applications appears to have something but I couldn't access it.I think I might have the Godfrey map in my collection so I will try and have a look tomorrow night when I get in. Did it say which pubs, Steve? That could narrow down a search.

Si

Post by Si »

Right, I've asked in the pub (busier than usual, too) but nobody's ever heard of Jenning's Yard! It may have been demolished in the 30s when Sugar Street was widened to create easier access from Bondgate to Boroughgate/Pool Road, and the post office/bus station were rebuilt.

Si

Post by Si »

stutterdog wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Another resident, unfortunately on the war memorial:Bartle:http://www.flickr.com/photos/seant_25/2430449277/ Thanks Cardiarms for the link. How did those Dibb parents cope with the loss of 3 sons? And why were they all permitted to join up?The last one alive should have been sent back home. I am appalled! There may have been a fourth son who was sent home. I hope so.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Si wrote: Right, I've asked in the pub (busier than usual, too) but nobody's ever heard of Jenning's Yard! It may have been demolished in the 30s when Sugar Street was widened to create easier access from Bondgate to Boroughgate/Pool Road, and the post office/bus station were rebuilt. Thanks Si ,once again for your trouble I think next time I'm in Otley I'll have a look in the library and see if they have any maps with it on.
ex-Armley lad

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

It turned out that I didn't have a copy of the Otley map (I will have to buy one) so it is a good job Si had a look.