Things you dont see anymore

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
daver

Post by daver »

I remember winning 6 tennis balls for coming 2nd in a race, and winning a certificate in the handwriting competition. But can anyone recognise anybody in this photograph of the childrens day float from Belle Vue Road Girls School(Leeds) Think it was about 1960.
Attachments
__TFMF_kn2vu24553ifyse2zdjy5345_a40cdac1-e732-477a-af69-e772fdffc6d7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_kn2vu24553ifyse2zdjy5345_a40cdac1-e732-477a-af69-e772fdffc6d7_0_main.jpg (202.33 KiB) Viewed 1977 times

Jak

Post by Jak »

Trojan wrote: Bramley4woods wrote: Born 1947, got Cod Liver Oil + Concentrated orange juice at the baby clinic.Fresh (?) Milk left out in the sun and served warm at school.I seem to remember getting Malt at school, but not for long, maybe only in the infants.Those not thriving according to the approved charts got Malt at school for a few more years, about 20 in a line side by side and they only had one spoon. I was born in 1946. At that time Morley was not in Leeds but under the West Riding County Council Education Dept. I went to Queen Street Infants in Morley. (Wesleyans) In the first class, we had the orange juice, we also had 1/3 pint milk hadthe cod liver oil capusules but in the afternoons we also had a sleep. I can't remember before afternoon play or after but there were camp style bed set out in the classroom with red blankets and we were expected to sleep for a prescibed time. I don't ever remember falling asleep - just being bored silly and told to stop shuffling and talking I remember haveing to have a sleep after dinner back in the 1940s,I was at coldcotes infants and just like you i never went to sleep.But 6o odd years latter its so easy.I about to have another 10 mins zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Jack Lambert ex giptoner

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Jak wrote: Trojan wrote: Bramley4woods wrote: Born 1947, got Cod Liver Oil + Concentrated orange juice at the baby clinic.Fresh (?) Milk left out in the sun and served warm at school.I seem to remember getting Malt at school, but not for long, maybe only in the infants.Those not thriving according to the approved charts got Malt at school for a few more years, about 20 in a line side by side and they only had one spoon. I was born in 1946. At that time Morley was not in Leeds but under the West Riding County Council Education Dept. I went to Queen Street Infants in Morley. (Wesleyans) In the first class, we had the orange juice, we also had 1/3 pint milk hadthe cod liver oil capusules but in the afternoons we also had a sleep. I can't remember before afternoon play or after but there were camp style bed set out in the classroom with red blankets and we were expected to sleep for a prescibed time. I don't ever remember falling asleep - just being bored silly and told to stop shuffling and talking I remember haveing to have a sleep after dinner back in the 1940s,I was at coldcotes infants and just like you i never went to sleep.But 6o odd years latter its so easy.I about to have another 10 mins zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Tell me about it!
Industria Omnia Vincit

Jak

Post by Jak »

Trojan wrote: Jak wrote: Trojan wrote: Bramley4woods wrote: Born 1947, got Cod Liver Oil + Concentrated orange juice at the baby clinic.Fresh (?) Milk left out in the sun and served warm at school.I seem to remember getting Malt at school, but not for long, maybe only in the infants.Those not thriving according to the approved charts got Malt at school for a few more years, about 20 in a line side by side and they only had one spoon. I was born in 1946. At that time Morley was not in Leeds but under the West Riding County Council Education Dept. I went to Queen Street Infants in Morley. (Wesleyans) In the first class, we had the orange juice, we also had 1/3 pint milk hadthe cod liver oil capusules but in the afternoons we also had a sleep. I can't remember before afternoon play or after but there were camp style bed set out in the classroom with red blankets and we were expected to sleep for a prescibed time. I don't ever remember falling asleep - just being bored silly and told to stop shuffling and talking I remember haveing to have a sleep after dinner back in the 1940s,I was at coldcotes infants and just like you i never went to sleep.But 6o odd years latter its so easy.I about to have another 10 mins zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Tell me about it! well awake again roll on summer so i can get off fishing or grab mi gun tek dog for a walk and have a rabit or two,sunny days
Jack Lambert ex giptoner

Jak

Post by Jak »

Trojan wrote: Jak wrote: Trojan wrote: Bramley4woods wrote: Born 1947, got Cod Liver Oil + Concentrated orange juice at the baby clinic.Fresh (?) Milk left out in the sun and served warm at school.I seem to remember getting Malt at school, but not for long, maybe only in the infants.Those not thriving according to the approved charts got Malt at school for a few more years, about 20 in a line side by side and they only had one spoon. I was born in 1946. At that time Morley was not in Leeds but under the West Riding County Council Education Dept. I went to Queen Street Infants in Morley. (Wesleyans) In the first class, we had the orange juice, we also had 1/3 pint milk hadthe cod liver oil capusules but in the afternoons we also had a sleep. I can't remember before afternoon play or after but there were camp style bed set out in the classroom with red blankets and we were expected to sleep for a prescibed time. I don't ever remember falling asleep - just being bored silly and told to stop shuffling and talking I remember haveing to have a sleep after dinner back in the 1940s,I was at coldcotes infants and just like you i never went to sleep.But 6o odd years latter its so easy.I about to have another 10 mins zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Tell me about it! well awake again roll on summer so i can get off fishing or grab mi gun tek dog for a walk and have a rabit or two,sunny days
Jack Lambert ex giptoner

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

How come there are now two "Things you don't see anymore" threads?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Lilysmum wrote: How come there are now two "Things you don't see anymore" threads? Probably because it's not always obvious to see just how much has gome on on here Lilysmum!You see the threads active in the last 2 days and the ones upto a month old show but unless you know to press the button on the contents pages, that looks to be it!Moving bits like this around was one of the things admin used to do wasn't it?

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Something i remember when i was a kid in Hunslet that you dont see now.When someone died haveing the coffin in the house with someone sitting with it 24. 7.untill the burial.Also drawing all of the curtains in the house untill after the funeral has a show of respect.Takeing the coffin out feet first this was supposed to stop the corpse from comeing back to haunt the house.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

chameleon wrote: Lilysmum wrote: How come there are now two "Things you don't see anymore" threads? Probably because it's not always obvious to see just how much has gome on on here Lilysmum!You see the threads active in the last 2 days and the ones upto a month old show but unless you know to press the button on the contents pages, that looks to be it!Moving bits like this around was one of the things admin used to do wasn't it? Thanks Chameleon just checking incase I'd missed something

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

sundowner wrote: Something i remember when i was a kid in Hunslet that you dont see now.When someone died haveing the coffin in the house with someone sitting with it 24. 7.untill the burial.Also drawing all of the curtains in the house untill after the funeral has a show of respect.Takeing the coffin out feet first this was supposed to stop the corpse from comeing back to haunt the house. When my dad died - in Chapel Allerton, he had to have a post mortem at Jimmy's. He was brought home on the morning of the funeral and the coffin was opened and the curtains were closed - my grandma was put in her coffin in the house where she lived and died and stayed there until the funeral. Whether anyone stayed with her 24/7 I'm not sure. Nowadays fo course they have chapels of rest and (if you so wish) you can view the body of your loved one there. When my mam died I saw her at the time and shortly afterwards. I then saw her in the chapel of rest and although the corpse bore a resemblance, it was more like looking at a poor waxwork of her. Things change.
Industria Omnia Vincit