Annals of Yorkshire

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
AngryofMayfair

Post by AngryofMayfair »

G'day,I have in my possession a very old book, dated approx 1859 titled 'The Annals of Yorkshire, from the Earliest Period to the Present Time (1859)It's full of all sorts of 'news' items and there are some very strange ones, ranging from hippopotamus bones being found in Wortley(! April 1852) to the more usual newsworthy items like the design, building and opening of The Leeds Town Hall.The book has over 700 pages and is not in the best condition but has been handed down in our family over the last few generations and has made it in one piece (just!) to Melbourne when we emigrated to Australia in 1972.Does anybody know of this book? Is it valuable or a commonly found item in the old book stores around Yorkshire?Thanks for any info...

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

I've come accross this before but never really took much notice but a quick search on Google reveals that it is available in several formats - CD, on-line and in (original?) hard back. It is described variously as being in two or three volumes, possibly different editions?, but surprisingly perhaps, to be had from as little as £30.

AngryofMayfair

Post by AngryofMayfair »

Thanks for that.Google eh? Now why didn't I think of that...Cheers and thanks again for the info