Dover Street

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Thanks very much guys,as usual you come up with the answers, on the cencus form it says the house consisted of four rooms and there were 9 people living there,by no means unusual for those days,but a bit of a squash I would imagine!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

A really bizarre thing with the alphabet streets is the 'L' and 'N' streets - the 'L' was 'New Lloyd Street'! Who dreamt that up ?? why not just 'Lloyd Street' , or something else beginning with L??. To compound things the 'N' street was 'Newlay Street' which could easily be confused with 'New Lloyd Street' if said quickly - very weird!!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Possibility of a Lloyd Street already in the immediate vicinity so New was appended to avoid confusion? I live within a mile of two completely separate Ledger Lanes one is Lofthouse (LCC) and the other is in Outwood (Wakefield). separate councils/post codes makes them easier to distinguish than two in the LS3/12/13 area would have been.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

tyke bhoy wrote: Possibility of a Lloyd Street already in the immediate vicinity so New was appended to avoid confusion? I live within a mile of two completely separate Ledger Lanes one is Lofthouse (LCC) and the other is in Outwood (Wakefield). separate councils/post codes makes them easier to distinguish than two in the LS3/12/13 area would have been. Well maybe - but then why , as the alphabet streets were all new at one time why didn't they just come up with something else beginning with'L' - can;t be that difficult!!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

[quotenick="drapesy"]A really bizarre thing with the alphabet streets is the 'L' and 'N' streets - the 'L' was 'New Lloyd Street'! Who dreamt that up ?? why not just 'Lloyd Street' , or something else beginning with L??. To compound things the 'N' street was 'Newlay Street' which could easily be confused with 'New Lloyd Street' if said quickly - very weird!! [/quotI didn't notice that drapesy,can you imagine the delivery drivers of today dealing with that palaver lol.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

ads

Post by ads »

drapesy wrote: A really bizarre thing with the alphabet streets is the 'L' and 'N' streets - the 'L' was 'New Lloyd Street'! Who dreamt that up ?? why not just 'Lloyd Street' , or something else beginning with L??. To compound things the 'N' street was 'Newlay Street' which could easily be confused with 'New Lloyd Street' if said quickly - very weird!! This would be because there already was a Lloyd Street that ran from Kirkstall Road to Burley Road, but wasn't part of the alphabets. Still doesn't make much sense to repeat it like this.What happened to W X Y & Z? Dover Street lay beneath Crombie Concessions, 98 Kirkstall Road as it is now.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

What about I, there was no I either. A lot of streets were called Inkerman in commemoration of the Battle of Inkerman in 1854 as part fo the Crimea. I wonder if it was built before or after this.

ads

Post by ads »

Built approx 1865