Dover Street

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Would anyone happen to know if Dover St. Kirkstall Rd. still exists? My Grandad was living there on the 1911 cencus and I wondered if it was still there or if not where was it?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Definitely not there now
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Any idea where it would have been Drapesy?

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

You don't think its maybe An-Dover street in hunslet do you??Perhaps they have missed off the An? Just a thought because i have been searching some old maps and i haven't come up with a Dover st around kirkstall road yet,maybe the illusive Ads can Add some weight too this    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Brandy wrote: you dont think its maybe An-dover street in hunslet do you??Perhaps they have missed off the An? That came up when I looked on Leodis,but on the cencus entry it says Dover St. Kirkstall Rd ? I know there was a lot of terraced houses on Kirkstall Rd. which are long gone so It may be on an old map of the area. Things do tend to change after almost 100 years.Most of the houses my family lived in tended to be in slum clearance areas so no family silver uncovered up to press!!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Just a thought, but can anyone recall (or find from a one time topic on here) what was the "D" of the alphabet streets ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

BLAKEY wrote: Just a thought, but can anyone recall (or find from a one time topic on here) what was the "D" of the alphabet streets ?? Yes your bang right BLAKEY Dover street was infact the 'D' street in the collection of back to backs known as the alphabet street's kirkstall http://66.43.27.42/th/read/YORKSGEN/1998-01/0886271729    And here it is lol.Correct me if im wrong but from my calculations i have dover street roughly in the area of the YTV studios    
Attachments
__TFMF_huskjtyzses2z545voldil45_021db327-4650-426c-8d9d-89536f8df87c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_huskjtyzses2z545voldil45_021db327-4650-426c-8d9d-89536f8df87c_0_main.jpg (190.77 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I was just going to say that!!!!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Brandy wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Just a thought, but can anyone recall (or find from a one time topic on here) what was the "D" of the alphabet streets ?? Yes your bang right BLAKEY Dover street was infact the 'D' street in the collection of back to backs known as the alphabet street's kirkstall http://66.43.27.42/th/read/YORKSGEN/1998-01/0886271729    And here it is lol.Correct me if im wrong but from my calculations i have dover street roughly in the area of the YTV studios     My mother got married CA 1936 and was given a house in Florist Street. One year later the chimney fell in and blackened her recently new 3 piece suite and a lot of the stuff she'd got as wedding presents. Since she was 7 months pregnant by then the council moved her early into a new house on the Sandford Estate, and paid for her chattels to be dry cleaned. Unfortunately this washed all the pattern out of the 3 piece suite !All the houses on the alphabet streets would have been in the same condition so I don't think it would have been long before all the tenants were decanted into some new estate or other. I was born in 1947 and only ever remember the site as a vacant lot. I do remember a small notice on two legs at the end of every few streets presumably saying "Keep Off" !Personally I would have placed Dover street nearer where the Car HIFI place is now.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

The clue is in the map folks The "H" street, Hollis Street, still exists today - at least the small part of it north of Burley Road does, up the side of the school, so isn't that grand that we can clinch it to the inch ?? - nice of the urban planners to leave us such a helpful hint eh ?? Hollis Street (remainder of) is about three hundred yards west of where Westfield Road branched right off Burley Road until very recently - that junction (near the 99 steps) now being closed and built over.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.