Leeds or Bradford?

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
annie

Post by annie »

My great grandfather, Thomas Fox, was born 2 Jan 1840 in Low Moor and I have a possible baptism for him on 27 Dec 1840 in Wibsey. His birth certificate reveals his mother to be Elizabeth Fox but has no other information.The first record we have is of him living with the Read (or Reed/Reid) family in New Begin, North Brierley in 1841. An Elizabeth Fox (b Sheffield c 1812) is shown visiting the family in 1851 and a John Fox, 50, appears in 1841.The family lived mainly in Hunslet in later years.I intend to visit the area soon and hope to find either a bastardy order or the parish record for the baptism (hoping for some added detail)s but, as I do not know the area at all, I need to know where these records may be kept.Hoping some-one can point me in the right directionannie

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Annie, welcome to the site.Coincidentally, my family also moved from North Bierley to Hunslet in the mid 1800s. I think North Bierley is purely an administrative area, as there is no such village/town, AFAIK. There are other Bierleys nearby, however. It covers an area from Shelf in the west, to Wibsey in the east, including what is now Buttershaw. This area is part of Bradford. The only parish records I've tried so far were at Shelf. Other than that, I'm sorry I can't help any more. Good luck.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Good morning, AnnieSi is correct in saying that North Bierley is an administrative area. The relevant parish churches are Holy Trinity, Low Moor, Bradford - probably your best starting point, followed by St John, Bierley, (this is the oldest parish church in Bradford, so its records may be more comprehensive). The other parishes are Oakenshaw (I don't know the dedication), and St Michael & All Angels, Shelf. North Bierley Cemetery is in Low Moor, so again it seems that Holy Trinity might be your best starting point, being located at the centre of the locality.Not being a geneaologist myself, I don't know how you would set about perusing parish records. The Bradford Diocesan Office is at Kadugli House, Steeton. It does have a website, so that might be a starting point.Good luck with your endeavours.UH
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

annie

Post by annie »

Thanks Si and Uno HooThat's really helpful. I live just south of Sheffield so it's not too far for me to visit Leeds...but never having been before, I don't want to wander about getting lost and looking in the wrong place!I thought that the parish records would be kept in a record office...I'm an amateur, not a genealogist, that has got hooked on finding out more about the life of an ancestor. The census records so many places for the family- Low Moor, Wibsey, Middleton Grange, Middleton in Hunslet, East Hunslet, Belleisle, Newbegin, Dewsbury Road, etc which I thought were all in Leeds - that it gets confusing.Any help needed in Derbyshire...I'm your girlThanksannie

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

annie wrote: My great grandfather, Thomas Fox, was born 2 Jan 1840 in Low Moor and I have a possible baptism for him on 27 Dec 1840 in Wibsey. His birth certificate reveals his mother to be Elizabeth Fox but has no other information.The first record we have is of him living with the Read (or Reed/Reid) family in New Begin, North Brierley in 1841. An Elizabeth Fox (b Sheffield c 1812) is shown visiting the family in 1851 and a John Fox, 50, appears in 1841.The family lived mainly in Hunslet in later years.I intend to visit the area soon and hope to find either a bastardy order or the parish record for the baptism (hoping for some added detail)s but, as I do not know the area at all, I need to know where these records may be kept.Hoping some-one can point me in the right directionannie Hi AnnieCan you give me the full details of all the occupants of the household in the 1841 and 1851 census,including marital status etc and relationship to head of household.Have you looked for the John Fox in the 1851 census.Is the young fox with his mother Elizabeth at any stage in the various census?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

annie

Post by annie »

Hi Crosni The census records are1841: New Begin (all born Yorkshire)John Read 25 Coal MinerMary Read 25John Fox 50 LabourerThomas Fox 11851: North BierleyJohn Reed Head Married 34 Coal Miner     Seacroft, YorkshireMary Reed, Wife, Married 34                         Sheffield, YorkshireJohn Reed, Son, Unmarried 7 Scholar            Low Moor, YorkshireGeorge Reed, Son, Unmarried 5 Scholar         Low Moor, YorkshireRobert Reed, Son, Unmarried 1                     Low Moor, YorkshireEliz(??) Fox, Visitor, Unmarried, 39, Servant Sheffield, YorkshireThomas Fox, Nephew, Unmarried, 11 Coal Miner Low Moor, YorkshireMary Ann Fox, Niece, Unmarried, 3 Scholar            Low Moor, YorkshireLater censuses record that Thomas was born in Low Moor and I eliminated others of that name before sending for a birth certificate – which names his mother as Elizabeth. I have also found a marriage record for a Mary Ann Fox and John Reed at St Peters, Leeds in 1834. I cannot find John Fox in 1851Annie

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

annie wrote: Hi Crosni The census records are1841: New Begin (all born Yorkshire)John Read 25 Coal MinerMary Read 25John Fox 50 LabourerThomas Fox 11851: North BierleyJohn Reed Head Married 34 Coal Miner     Seacroft, YorkshireMary Reed, Wife, Married 34                         Sheffield, YorkshireJohn Reed, Son, Unmarried 7 Scholar            Low Moor, YorkshireGeorge Reed, Son, Unmarried 5 Scholar         Low Moor, YorkshireRobert Reed, Son, Unmarried 1                     Low Moor, YorkshireEliz(??) Fox, Visitor, Unmarried, 39, Servant Sheffield, YorkshireThomas Fox, Nephew, Unmarried, 11 Coal Miner Low Moor, YorkshireMary Ann Fox, Niece, Unmarried, 3 Scholar            Low Moor, YorkshireLater censuses record that Thomas was born in Low Moor and I eliminated others of that name before sending for a birth certificate – which names his mother as Elizabeth. I have also found a marriage record for a Mary Ann Fox and John Reed at St Peters, Leeds in 1834. I cannot find John Fox in 1851Annie Hello AnnieThanks for that.Im pretty sure that Elizabeth Fox in the 1851 census is the mother of John born 1840 and is also the sister of Mary Reed nee Fox as you have already deduced.However the IGi shows the marriage in 1834 to be Mary Fox,not Mary Ann,so perhaps an actual check of the Leeds PR may well solve this (unless you already have done)If not it may well be worth doing for names of witnesess etc.There are some baptisms in Sheffield for a Mary Fox and Mary Ann 1816/1817.Unfortunately it appears there are a few possible candidates for the parents of this Mary/Mary Ann incliuding a George,a Thomas and a Henry.Judging by the name of John Reeds second son,George,then the George Fox MAY be the possible option.As for Elizabeth well the IGI is less forthcoming with a result,there are some but none og=f these match the parents of a potential Mary/Mary Ann Fox (Reed)Have you checked the Reeds in later census to cross reference the ages in the 1851 census?.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

leeds_girlie

Post by leeds_girlie »

Bastardy records are available from West Yorkshire Archives, some are held at the Wakefield office, but they weren't always done (I know after trying to trace an illigitimate ancestor who's birth coincidentally was registered in North Bierley!), only if it could be proved who the father was which usually was if he admitted to it, which wasn't all the time! Other records (parish etc) are there too.Hope this helps!

annie

Post by annie »

Thanks Girlie and Crosni. That's really helpful.I'm going away for a few days but will follow up your suggestions when I get back..annie