1911 Census online

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

According to various magazines on family history the census will only be available on findmypast for quite a while. They got the contract to scan it,so get exclusive rights from the national archives for a while. it will then become available on sites such as Ancestry.i;m afraid that for now unless you already have a subscription to findmypast ,you have to pay.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

cnosni wrote: chameleon wrote: cnosni wrote: OOPs,spend spend spend already!!The surname search is pants,the wildcard option does not work and there is no soundex option.However the results show how many children a couple have had and how many of them have died,it also shows how long a couple have been married. (Note my bit about Ancestry above cnosni - might be of use to you). cheers mate,but renewed in December,and ive noticed theres less on the basic sub now Na' mind - pass it on and keep in mind for next year, only 340 something days to go!

weenie

Post by weenie »

The 1911 Census ennumerator books are online at Ancestry now at no further cost to subscriptions!!!they are adding the rest now and will be up by january happy hunting !!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

weenie wrote: The 1911 Census ennumerator books are online at Ancestry now at no further cost to subscriptions!!!they are adding the rest now and will be up by january happy hunting !! Are they going fo the full mashings?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

cnosni wrote: weenie wrote: The 1911 Census ennumerator books are online at Ancestry now at no further cost to subscriptions!!!they are adding the rest now and will be up by january happy hunting !! Are they going fo the full mashings? No. Not from what I can make out. I thought it was poor,I could not find what I was looking for even though I have the info from the 1911 census on FMP

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

uncle mick wrote: cnosni wrote: weenie wrote: The 1911 Census ennumerator books are online at Ancestry now at no further cost to subscriptions!!!they are adding the rest now and will be up by january happy hunting !! Are they going fo the full mashings? No. Not from what I can make out. I thought it was poor,I could not find what I was looking for even though I have the info from the 1911 census on FMP Hang on Mick,they say it WILL be the full mashings-"1911 starts here!Today's the day you've all been waiting for. We've officially started our release of the 1911 Census.Starting right now, you can discover where your family was living with the 1911 England and Wales Census Summary Books. These tell you the name of the head of each household and the number of people recorded in each house — so you can work out if there are likely to be any new members. You can also take a virtual stroll around your ancestors' neighbourhoods, following the route the enumerator took and examining the type of property your relatives were living in. Find your family now (IMPORTANT BIT)However, this is just the first step — a taster of what you can expect as we put the full 1911 Census online. We're working hard to make these detailed records available as soon as possible, so you can uncover new facts about your ancestors and fill in the gaps in your tree."I'd say that isBack of the net!!!Goodbye expensive find my past!!    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

You have to take your hat off to Ancestry,it isnt perfect but its going in the right direction..Id say it has probably save me hundreds,if not potentially thousands , of hours of research to get to the stage i am at with my family tree.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I think the quote "as soon as possible" sums it up. Brightsolid own Find my past and Genes Reunited, on both sites you can access the 1911 census.I can't see them giving up the rights at the moment but as the song goes "money talks"        Mick    

weenie

Post by weenie »

it is hard to find people on there though, i was looking for Robert Jones in Leeds, i knew he was there from FMP but nothing was coming up even though they say put in head of household turned out he listed as Jones - great how popular! had to go through the pages to find the street name- luckily i used my brain and went through the district bit from the info from FMP.... only took me 30 mins...... although i can not wait for it to be fully up and great news no extra subscription anyone!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

uncle mick wrote: I think the quote "as soon as possible" sums it up. Brightsolid own Find my past and Genes Reunited, on both sites you can access the 1911 census.I can't see them giving up the rights at the moment but as the song goes "money talks"        Mick     "the rights" belong to TNA,Findmypast were the first in there to pay up for the use of them,and lets not forget that Ancestry were first to put up the 1841/1851/1861/1871 and 1891 census and Findmypast/Genesreunited followed,no issue with rights.Cant see Ancestry having any problem,look at what they did with the LMA records,and astonishing body of work not only to capture and reproduce online,but also then put up a search facility.I do have my frustrations with Ancestry but they have the knack of going for the right material that FH researchers want.I think that Genes has the edge with the number of UK users (for tree building),but as it and FMP are pay as you go for their records then it becomes a more expensive way to research,plus the Genes tree builder (which is what i use online simply because of the number of users and potential contacts it has)is pretty basic.For Genes/FMP to improve i think they will need rethink their strategy,and possibly make them one and the same,and then actually try and trump Ancestry on bringing new databases online before Ancestry.That would be good for all researchers.