WW1 records free on-line

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

I've just found out from the BBC rememberance website that Ancestry.co.uk are waiving their charges for access to WW1 British army records for the month of NOV 2008 as part of the 90 years of rememberance campaign.Names A-H are available now I-N should be on by mid Nov and the rest by early 2009(although you will have to pay again by then)Hope this may be of some use to family historians.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Word of warning,the parts from H to M/N are known as the burnt records.These were damaged in a fire in WW2 and are incomplete.Dont fear though ,there are the WW1 Medal records available to Ancestry subscribers or the National Archives will let you do a search and download a copy for £3.50.The medal record doesnt really give you a lot of info so its difficult to pinpoint the correct one,but if you know their regiment and number then you are ok. If not,then if they were form Leeds AND If they were alive in 1918 those details can be found on the Leeds absent voters list,shown on another thread.Anyone with WW1 naval relations will find the Naval records are pretty much complete on the National Archives site,and once again you can download a copy for £3.50
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]